How Do Women Learn to Love Their Bodies?


I've often wondered how some women have found a way to feel so confident about their bodies. I'm not talking about those who are busting their butts everyday for hours in the gym, etc. (And I'm not saying these same women don't have their own image issues or concerns as well.) I mean your everyday mom of four, or the young women who don't fit into the unrealistic sizes that society says they should fit into, or the plus-sized girl who puts on, AND ROCKS a bikini.

How do these women (young and old) learn to look past the insecurities ingrained in us through societies expectations and love themselves just as they are?

I ask because I want them to tell me how to do that for myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of the accomplishments my body has helped me achieve... This body gave birth to two beautiful girls after years of infertility tests and treatments that abused it. It played college hockey and countless other sports. It carried a runner's heart across multiple finish lines, including a half marathon finish line. This body picks up my youngest daughter to give her hugs, kisses and cuddles when she falls down and scrapes her knee. It gives my 8 year olds piggy back rides and tosses my stepson into the air in the pool as it hears his loud squeals and giggles. My body does a lot, and for that I am thankful.

Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with loving what I see on the outside or being comfortable in my clothes from time to time. I still feel self-conscious about rolls, the belly pudge and my "big arms". I criticize myself in pictures, or take six different selfies of the hubby and I before picking the one where I look the best. I pull on my shirt to stretch it away from my body - often without realizing I'm doing it. I find myself becoming more of an introvert as time passes - not because I'm ashamed, but because I think I'm putting myself out there less and less.

Do I have a better self image at a lower weight. Sure, but I'm still critical of my body and how I look. It doesn't matter how big or small... I still manage to pick at the flaws. Why? Even when I'm proud of my progress, I can search for failures? What happened to make me that way? What can I do to be like my younger self (who still had self image issues, but who managed to still let herself shine instead of hide). I know she's not gone entirely, but that's the point.

I want to find a way to love my body, every bit of it - bumps, bruises, stretch marks, rolls, chins and all - and feel confident with who I am. I believe that confidence leads to another level of happiness. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I want to find a way so that I can lead my children to love themselves the same and find that happiness or that sense of security with who they are as soon as they can.

I saw this article today....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/laraparker/we-recreated-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-covers?bffbmain&utm_term=.ll8Lb8Lz7V#.tjND3qD07p

Definitely check it out (please don't be offended by a few off color words, there aren't many). I applaud and envy those women. I found myself immediately thinking, "Wow! That suit at that size. How  did she find the courage to do that?" Then I read the article.

After that I made a decision... I've always wanted to do a fun friend photo shoot with a group of my friends. I'm going to go beyond that though. I need to recruit some willing friends who won't mind putting themselves out there (don't worry, you'll have final say in what makes the cut to be posted) and having their picture taken - and NOT Photoshopped! Yes, I know how to use Photoshop and I've been guilty in the past of a little virtual liposuction!

I'll see who volunteers after I post this, but I'll also be personally asking those closest to me. I won't stop there. This is something that will take a few months to organize, but I plan to do a series on women - big, small, old, young, etc. I'm in the beginning stages of planning, but I think it will help me find my answer. I'll also post my findings on there along the way.

I want to celebrate women, women's bodies, what those bodies accomplish and what each woman/girl can celebrate about their body. I won't be taking nudes (although I would like to do some boudoir pics one day) and I won't even make anyone don a swim suit, unless they want to. I want to celebrate happy women, supportive women.


Stay tuned for this new adventure. I may not be doing Sport Illustrated covers, but I think these will be cherished and hopefully they will help us all see the beauty we have in ourselves and each other. Plus, in the end I hope to just have fun with it!

If you want to play along... message me on Facebook, comment here, or comment on the link. Whatever works! Those who don't live close enough, stay tuned for images I'll post as I go!

Comments

Popular Posts