Day 4 of 28 - Ready for Answers!

For those who have been following my blog the last couple of years, you've heard me complain about my side pain. While it's most intense when I'm running, or doing any high intensity cardio (karate triggered it earlier this week when we were doing one minute intervals of kicks), it also bothers me when I'm just sitting at my desk or riding in a car. There's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it. I got a couple cortisone shots in my ribs the morning we left for our vacation in October in hopes that it would settle things down and alleviate the pain. No luck!

Now that we are through the holidays, I decided it is time to figure it out. My goal for 2016 is to figure out what it is and hopefully fix it. So, I have an appointment next month with the pain doc again. The shot didn't help, the prescription for Neurontin (nerve pain meds) hasn't helped... Well it hasn't helped my side pain anyway. It did help my shoulder pain! (Can you hear my eyes rolling?! *sigh*)

Hopefully he will have a "next option" for me. When we talked in October he suggested the shots and then we would probably move on to a CT scan in hopes of finding the culprit. It could be back related, muscular, nerve... so many options and after three years of treatments, still no answer.

I honestly dream about running again. I miss it so much! I look back at old blog posts and can remember the feeling of my frustrations, anger, anxiety, you name it just floating away with each step. Friends and family are planning races for this season and I'm happy for them, but jealous as heck!

One of my hockey teammates messaged everyone from our old hockey team letting us know that there was a local tournament and our team was asked if we wanted to play. While most of the women said it was poor timing (we haven't skated as a team in two years), I would have done anything to say yes. I couldn't play in a game if my life depended on it right now, but I miss it dearly!

Shoot... I would love to just take a workout class with friends, or do an Insanity workout at home, but I can hardly get through the warm up of a workout video right now.

So, I'm beyond ready for some answers and hopefully a treatment that works. This doc is kind of the end of my rope. Everyone else has tossed their hands in the air stating that they are stumped. I don't know what I'll do if this one does the same thing!

Moving on... It's been a low key day. Kid #2 got sent home from school this afternoon. Thankfully The Hubby is off of work today and came to her rescue. It was a good run... two solid months illness free. I think that's a record for our house during the winter!

So, today I switched up the meals a bit. I still had my breakfast burrito on my way in to work and coffee with homemade creamer after our morning meeting...


This morning's Go Go Juice came just in time to keep me from Hulk status. Kidding, it wasn't that bad, but I'm so not a morning person! Once it kicked in, I was good to go and even presentable and well mannered for our one hour sexual harassment training. (There's a story behind that Hulk that I'll share in a moment.)

I shifted lunch over to the E side of things. As promised, I read more of the new THM book on my flight to and from Kansas City. I don't know if they didn't mention it in the first book, or if I had just forgotten, but they suggest 4-5 (E)nergizing meals each week. Our bodies need the energy and it keeps us from getting into a fuel rut - I'm so guilty of relying on S meals! So, today I broke into the yummy fresh baked sourdough bread from the bakery and made a turkey sandwich with Laughing Cow Cheese. Yummo! By the way, the chicken and quinoa on Tuesday was also an E meal. I really struggle with ideas for E meals, but I'm working on it!


Yes, The Hulk returned for lunch too! Okay, Cliff's Notes version of The Hulk's story. It had been a pretty stressful couple of months.... work, the kids, exes, schedules, adjusting to life as an official family of six (blending families isn't for the faint of heart!)... I was a mess. I texted The Hubby at one point and told him that I felt like Bruce Banner (for those unfamiliar with The Hulk or even The Avengers, Bruce Banner is The Hulk's human side), like my fuse was incredibly short and at any moment I could turn into a raging, angry beast and start smashing stuff.

That afternoon, my amazing goofball of a husband showed up with lunch for me and a figurine of The Hulk, who now resides on my desk at all times. It serves as a reminder that there are bad days, but I have the choice as to how I react. I can take a deep breath and push through, or I can turn into a giant green monster and start smashing crap to pieces. Trust me, the latter is still very tempting at times!

So, there you have it! I haven't felt Hulk-ish in a couple of months, but the toy on my desk makes kids who come into my office with their parents smile, so he gets to stay.

Tomorrow is Friday! WOOHOO!! We made it through another week. Tonight we'll have Chipotle Shrimp Tacos for dinner (it's just the hubby and I tonight) and then I'm headed to late karate, since I've only made it to one class this week and there are no classes on Saturday. The Hubby had a long night at work last night, so he's opting out, but I need it. He gets to work out at work the days he is at the station... we don't get that luxury in my office. Heck, we don't even get a microwave! (Yes, I'm still upset about that.)

Comments

Popular Posts