Day 3 of 28 - Sick Kid Down & Major Recipe Share!

We've been lucky. After Thanksgiving we managed to keep the kids well through the rest of the holidays. Poor Emmy Lou's luck ran out yesterday though. I believe she's battling another case of strep throat. I swear, if there is a bug, that kid will catch it! Life with a weakened immune system - although it is getting better and better each year, so there's hope that she will outgrow her mastocytosis and all of it's side effects (including a weak immune system).

So, today I will take her to the doc to get a strep test and discuss options. My poor girl has such huge tonsils that they almost touch when she's sick. She was so hungry this morning, but wouldn't even look at the cereal her sister was eating. My solution was to whip her up a Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake (100% THM-friendly too) which made her very happy and tamed her growlies. Abbycakes was mad that she didn't get a "treat" for breakfast too! Oh she makes me giggle!

Speaking of kids and THM. I know a lot of people who have talked about giving up on their weight loss programs because they get sick of constantly making a separate meal for themselves, or that they end up eating their plan approved meal and then stealing off of their kids' "normal meal" plates.

That really isn't even an issue with THM. Our kids eat whatever we eat. Sure, once in a while we may make two different kinds of meat, but that's rare and usually only happens because The Hubby and I want shrimp and the kids haven't acquired a taste for it yet. Goofy critters just don't know what they are missing!

Otherwise, the kids eat what we eat, but we may add in an extra side dish to make their meals a crossover since kids need both protein and carbs at every meal. This morning was an exception because we were in a hurry and Emmy Lou wasn't going to choke down anything outside of a liquid breakfast, but here are a  couple good examples...

Monday night we had Cheeseburger Pie from the THM book (this is a public THM recipe, so it's out there for anyone to try - most recipes from the book are not shared because of copyrights) and the two kids who were home to eat it gobbled it right down. The Hubby made a veggie side to go with it and all was good.

Yesterday The Hubby made Blackened Chicken with Cilantro Lime Quinoa and green beans. There was a little groaning about the quinoa, but we also agreed we could tame down the amount of lime in it next time. No one complained about the chicken or beans because that's a norm in our house. Overall, they all ate it and two of the four even tried the avocado sauce that was served with it. The Hubby & I kept the sauce to a minimum because the fat from the avocado can push this meal into a crossover.

When they've been really good about eating new things, we'll throw in an evening of THM-friendly pancakes or tacos just to let them know that we still understand they like their staple items. Plus, they are still 100% on plan for us also.

Last night I tried out our Peanut Butter Whip on Emmy Lou as a dessert because she was looking for a treat before dinner. Oh boy did I have a happy girl. She kept giving little "mmmmm" sounds. Complete success and 100% on plan! She kept gushing about it being such a yummy healthy dessert. She also loves our Skinny Peanut Butter Cups.

We also tested a new sweet treat recipe. I've been wanting to make these for a couple of weeks and finally remembered all of the ingredients. The author of this post says they taste like peanut butter eggs, but The Hubby and I both agreed they taste more like a chocolate dipped peanut butter cheesecake ball. Oh so yummy!!! Anyway... here's the link to what I'll call Skinny Dipped Peanut Butter Cheesecake Balls.

Since I forgot to share on Monday, here's how the menu looks for the rest of the week...

Wednesday - Egg White & Turkey Bacon on Sourdough Toast

Thursday - Pesto Shrimp Skewers (Perfect easy recipe with me working late and then The Hubby and I having late karate.)

Friday - Low-Carb Pizza (This one was on the menu a week or so ago, but we never made it, so giving it a shot this week.)

Saturday - Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs w/Dreamfields Pasta

Sunday - Baked Chicken, Sweet Potato Fries & green beans

And because I didn't share any pics today, I have to share how my lunch turned out on Monday...


Even without the lettuce to make the wraps, it was a pretty tasty and filling lunch. Today I have almost the same thing, but I remembered the lettuce. I'll try to remember to grab a pic. Yesterday's lunch was leftover Cheeseburger Pie since I was at home with access to a microwave. I had a delicious dill pickle spear and some cottage cheese for a side. Mmmmm!!

I feel much better being back on plan... Unfortunately my scale is not on board just yet which baffles me. Usually the first day or two back on plan I drop water weight like nobody's business. Apparently this is a sign... that I need to have The Hubby hide the scale on me during the week and stick to only weighing in on Fridays. Yup... I think that may be my request after Friday's weigh in! Even with the scale at a standstill... I feel SO MUCH BETTER!! My stomach is settling, I am not clearing out rooms with my post vacay butt, and I am shaking the sluggish feeling. Honestly, those are more important to me than the scale right now anyway!

Comments

Popular Posts