Baby Steps Day 4 - Oh Deer

Hunting season has come and gone and The Hubby, while lucky to stay warm during the coldest days so far this winter, was not lucky enough to shoot a deer. It's been a while since I have had venison for dinner, so in my best youngest child voice I whined to my dad who promptly provided me with two packages of processed venison steak. SCORE!! Sorry to those who aren't fans of hunting or eating venison. For me, growing up, it was just a part of life. I guess I see it as no worse than enjoying a hamburger, but a lot more natural to eat!

So, tonight we are having venison steaks and quinoa for dinner tonight and I'm cooking! The Hubby does 90% of the cooking. I don't mind baking, I'm just not a huge fan of cooking. Thank God for a man who cooks... and cooks well!

I grew up eating a lot of venison and my ex-husband and I always had a freezer full between bow hunting and rifle hunting. The Hubby and I were really hoping for a little freezer filler this year, but oh well. So, with my history eating and cooking this particular meat, I am going with a very simple, yet delicious recipe. There really aren't any set ingredients for this, so I'm not even sure what to call it. I just grab seasonings, soy sauce, garlic and oil and go to town! Since I need to keep it within E meal standards, I'll be keeping be using no more than 10g of fat worth - I believe that's about two teaspoons worth. I'll fry up some garlic in that oil for a minute or so and then toss in the steaks. I usually season with a steak seasoning and then fry it in the garlic with some soy sauce for moisture and seasoning.

Like I said, there's not real recipe and I totally wing it, but it is sooooo good. In the end, it ends up tasting kind of stir fry-ish. Although, I've also used venison for a true pepper steak stir fry. That's super good too! Yeah, I need my fix... can you tell? I have to laugh at myself when I get this excited to eat dinner!

Tonight I'll also kick off my Christmas shopping. Actually, I'll be buying gifts for St. Nicholas Day. The kids learn about it in school since he was an actual saint, so we've adopted that particular tradition in the last few years. They all get their Christmas pajamas plus a couple of coins and a treat in their shoes. It's fun to see their little faces light up over something so small. I love it!

Oh and I finally reached a verdict on my cookie exchange cookies. I'm going to make toffee bars! This is the recipe my mom has used since I was a kid. They are so easy and so good! Yes, I know these aren't cookies, but they will work!


Hopefully time will allow us to make our usual Kiss Cookies and maybe something else. I know, I know... they aren't THM-friendly, but we will be having family and friends over during Christmas, so I like to have goodies on hand!

Comments

Popular Posts