Let's Talk Coffee


So, this morning my best friend and I were discussing coffee options. She's dipping her toes into the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle with her amazingly supportive man by her side. She was asking me what I do for coffee. Honestly, I haven't had a naughty coffee in three months. For those who didn't follow before my THM journey, I had a horrible habit of stopping at the gas station and getting a medium cup with half coffee and half hot chocolate. I topped it with plenty of Caramel Macchiato International Delight creamer and a few squirts of sugar filled flavoring. If I made it at work, I poured a cup of coffee and added a heavy dose of Hershey's chocolate syrup and caramel ice cream topping. Yeah... I don't think it was about coffee at that point!

Since starting THM, I have had a few mornings where I have made a THM-friendly cup of joe. First, let me add that I didn't have an actual coffee pot until about a month ago when my mom dropped one off at my house while I was gone and said that I now have no excuse for not having coffee available at birthday parties to go with the cake. Hint taken! I still haven't taken it out of the box!! I do, however, have some Starbucks instant coffee packets that fill my need when I have one. I loathe black coffee, so the big challenge for me is how to make it sweet, creamy and tolerable.

Here's what I've added to mine, but also know that there are a few recipes in the new THM cookbook for different drink options, like a Fat Stripping Frappa - which are a skinny version of the blended coffee drinks you can get, only much healthier. This was the one my best friend tried this weekend and enjoyed. Anyway, I use a packet of instant coffee, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, caramel extract, xylitol (although any plan approved sweetener will work) to taste and a chunk of skinny chocolate. It kind of turns into a caramel mocha-type coffee and is pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself!

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to give up coffee, or even making froo froo coffees. There are THM-friendly options. Many of the women on the boards use heavy whipping cream in their coffee, while others use half and half or almond milk. All of these are plan approved creamers, just remember to pay attention to what you are having WITH your coffee, so you don't cross your fuel sources if you are following THM.

By the end of the conversation with my best friend, we both agreed that it's time to do some experimenting with making our own creamers. We are both all about convenience, so for me, especially in the morning, it has to be readily available, quick and easy!

I also want to report that she has tried a few recipes that I've posted in my THM boards on Pinterest over the last few months. They tried the Baked Mozzarella Chicken Rolls and said they are pretty easy and gave it two thumbs up! We also replayed the Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken recipe in our house last night for the whole brood and they all cleared their plates in record time. Between the two recipes, that's five kids 8 and under who are enjoying healthy recipes. WOOHOO!!! And let me tell you, there are some picky eaters in that gaggle of giggles! You may be surprised at how family friendly this really can be, I know I was!

Comments

Popular Posts