Happy Tummy, Happy Mommy Right?!?

Let's talk gut health! Yeah, that's a topic that has been on my mind A LOT this week. When I go off plan, even for a day, it severely messes up my digestive system. I believe that's pretty true for a lot of people. Some people may even suffer horrible headaches or aches and pains for a few days after eating off of a plan their body is very used to, like a gluten-free friend of mine. For me, my body shuts down!

When I'm 100% on plan and eating well, I have ZERO bloat, my stomach does it's job and my body functions as it should. When I have an off day, all bets are off! One solution for me is to up my fiber. By upping my fiber, I mean I am downing Metamucil like I used to drink Diet Coke with a stool softener chaser. Yes, I just went there. It's a crappy topic, but it's pretty normal. For others, their bodies may need to stay away from the normal amount of fiber they eat in a day to correct the opposite issue. You all know it... when your body screams "GET THE HECK OUT!!" and expels everything in it. We've all been there. It is amazing how sensitive our bodies, especially our stomachs, are.

Another thing that I've noticed is that with back to back weekends of eating somewhat off plan, I've gotten sick for the first time in months. There is a direct link between gut health and immunity. I didn't realize just how much of a link until I talked to my daughter's pediatrician.

Our oldest has a HORRIBLE immune system. She has a mast cell disease called Mastocytosis. She has the juvenile form of it, so she *should* outgrow it, but it also has a best friend called asthma. The two combined make for a very weak immune system and a kid who's body turns a simple cold into pneumonia with a side of ear infections a couple of times a year. So, this year I asked her doc what else we can do to keep her healthy. We know what to do WHEN she's sick, but how can we help keep her from getting sick. The first thing her doc suggested was putting her on a probiotic and making sure she is keeping her gut healthy. Hmmmm... That explains a lot! I've been on a probiotic most of the time I've been doing THM because I was hoping it would help with my side pain. It didn't fix that problem, but it's helping in other areas.

I dug a bit deeper than that and for anyone who suffers from IBS, constipation or any crazy stomach sensitivity that probiotics are a huge help. I highly suggest researching supplements that help with digestive health or even just looking into what vitamins and minerals help what body part, it's pretty interesting and I've just gotten starting. Of course, I also suggest this plan as well, because it supports body health and balance through nutrition, but that last part is up to each individual. Supplements are an awesome place to start though.

In my research I've made a list... I have a physical a week from Monday and I'm going to double check with my doc before starting the supplements I've looked into, and getting her suggestions as well, but here's what I've come up with:

Fiber Supplements - to keep things moving
Magnesium - also helps keeps you digestive system happy and many people are low and don't know it!
Amino Acids
Multi-Vitamin - I'm more curious about quality and not doubling up on accident, so I want to know if there's a vitamin that covers some of what I'm already taking to eliminate the number of pills I have to swallow.

I already take:
Probiotic - to keep my guts happy
Fish Oil - brain health & other things
Vitamin D - because anyone living up here has a Vitamin D deficiency and if you work an office job, you probably have one no matter where you work. Double whammy for me there.
Vitamin B - It's a happy booster

Of course, I'll have lab work to back up any suggestions she has for me. And since my gasto appointment is the same day as my physical, I plan to talk to both docs about natural things to keep my body and my gut happy. Let's face it, when you have an upset stomach or are cramping because your digestive system is unhappy, it wreaks havoc on our emotions and willpower. A.K.A. Bring on the comfort foods!! "I already feel miserable, I may as well just keep at it." Right? Ummm... no, but that's what the little voice in my head is often heard saying.


I know I'm on the right road with what I'm eating, but I want to do this 100% and get the most out of the lifestyle I'm choosing to lead. Beyond all of that, I'm really enjoying the education and finding that I'm quite interested in what I'm reading about my body and how it works. Who knew?!?

Comments

Popular Posts