Try, try again!

Well, I was hoping to have a wonderful recipe to share with all of you tonight, but it just didn't turn out like I hoped. Fortunately, my hubby liked it, so it didn't get wasted and he gave me some ideas on what I was lacking to make it the dish I was anticipating it would be. But I will say I stepped outside my box today. Some of you may laugh, and go right ahead, but I used REAL garlic for the first time tonight. HA! How's that for sheltered?!? What can I say, I usually use the powder. :)

Although, I did say that I would make something new and report back on it, so here goes. I'll even let you all know what hubby's suggestions were.

Crockpot Venison with Onions & Garlic (you'll appreciate the originality when I tell you the ingredients!)

3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 a yellow onion sliced and then cut the slices in half
1 lb venison steak, loin, chops, or whatever lean red meat you like
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (and for those Rachel Ray fans, I will reference it in the future as EVOO to save my fingers the extra typing)
1 chicken (or beef or veggie, I only had chicken today) bullion cube
1/4 cup water (as long as your meat is not frozen. If your meat is still frozen, don't add the water or you'll have soup)

In a small frying pan sautee garlic and onions in EVOO until you start to get a glazed mix. Crush the bullion cube and sprinkle over onion and garlic and add 1/4 cup of water. Keep on stove until heated and mixed.

Meanwhile, spray your crockpot with nonstick spray and put in meat. Sprinkle with season salt and ground pepper (and other seasonings to your liking). Pour onion and garlic mixture over meat and set on high for 2 hours. I then switched mine to low for the next 5 1/2 hours and it was definitely done, but they were 1/2" steaks, so they cooked easy.

Alright, I thought it would have more flavor than it did. It wasn't bad, just wasn't great! So, hubby's suggestions were:

- use whole onion instead of half
- maybe one more clove of garlic, but it was okay
- add potatoes & carrots (because he didn't have a side dish :o) )
- and maybe a bit more season salt and pepper on the bottom layer of steaks

I also had two steaks that were slightly frozen and had to pour off some of the "soup" so I probably lost some flavor there as well.

It wasn't a horrible disaster for my first time using garlic and it was edible. Hopefully the next recipe I share will have a pretty picture to go with it and a good review!

Until then... my goal for the rest of the week is WATER WATER WATER!

Comments

Popular Posts