First Funk!

*SIGH* Someone kick me square in the hiney!!!

Okay, traveling is NOT easy when a person is trying to eat on the healthy side. I will say that today was better than yesterday. No horrible meals. A couple bad snacks, I ate the cookie included in my lunch at my meeting and another one at dinner with Hubby and Em. GRRR!!! Damn 10 pound mark! I always think I can relax when I get there. I'm aware of that fatal error, yet it seems like I have 1,000 more hurdles to jump than I did even a week ago. But, I'm down, not out!!!

Tomorrow... breakfast, lunch and dinner are planned. I have fruit and cottage cheese for snacks... I'm set. I'm ready to get back on track and now that I'm back in my comfort area. It's just easier when you are where you're used to being and able to plan ahead.

I've also got a new snack that I have to figure out the points for... venison jerky!!! Since venison is 3pts per oz, I can't imagine venison jerky is going to be a very high point goodie, but I have to run it through my recipe builder. Either way, you really can't each much of it in one sitting and it's a good way to kill the need for something chewy and salty.

I'm still on the fence about whether I should go to the Dells this weekend or stay home and work and attend a birthday party for a friend's daughter. Temptations EVERYWHERE!!!!!! HA HA!! But really, if I stay home, we're finally going to make the Asian Chicken that I have a recipe for and kept trying to plan to make (must grocery shop before making this meal). I've been craving chinese, so I'm sure this will fill that need. I'll definitely share the recipes when I'm done. It will be accompanied by point friendly fried rice and veggies. I'm so excited! Stay tuned on that one!!

I do have a little tip today too. A friend of mine asked me "what's for dinner" last night while I was sitting in my hotel room. Unfortunately for me it was something way too high and points and not satisfying enough, but everything in the joint was greasy and horrible for ya. Anyway, it got me thinking and I thought I'd add this. Many of us have days where we are ravenous and eat our way through the day, or are surprised with goodies at the office, or lunch with a friend, whatever the case may be... and when it comes time for dinner our points pot is almost empty. What are your options for dinner? Here are a few of mine.

My top three low point go-to meals are...

1. Cheese Omelet with toast or cottage cheese and a piece of fruit. Those of you who like veggies, load them on! If you have the extra points, add an ounce or two of deli ham. Play with it. An omelete base of 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites is only 2 points. Build from there and remember, that apple, orange or grapefruit on the side is FREE baby!!

2. Grilled Chicken Salad. I'll grill up a chicken breast and cut up about 4oz of meat to put on top of a very large bowl of veggies (usually spinach and mixed greens). Pile on the veggies, make it fun and colorful (the more colorful, the more appealing to the eye and you'll feel better about what you are eating. Funny, but true!). The dressing can be the Skinny Ranch Dip (see recipe farther down) or a vinegarette. Base points for greens and meat... 3 points.

3. Protein Shake. For those on the go, no time to stop and make something, or just need something to get you over the hump because you ate a late lunch situations. I like Herbalife's shakes, but that's because it's big around here. I also don't mind the powder mix by Jillian (Biggest Loser) you find at Wal-Mart. Throw in a banana, orange, pineapple, or even some carrots and celery and you've got yourself a nice filling, low point meal. And I swear it's satisfying. It's not something I'd eat every day, but it's good for those days that you need something and just don't have the extra points, or you need to eat after a late workout and don't want a huge meal.

Basically, anything made of egg whites, chicken or fish (meats no more than 3-4oz) with a LARGE side of veggies will satisfy and keep your points low. I was religious about eating an omelete and a yogurt the night before a weigh in when I went to meetings because it was filling, but light. Try to come up with at least three go-to's that are low in points and easy to make so that if you are in a bind and just need something without thinking, you can fall back on them instead of fast food. ENJOY!

Comments

  1. I do best when I plan my day out too. This week has been hard, so I understand what your going through. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts