I enjoyed cooking for once!!

For me, cooking is usually just a chore. I'd much rather just order my dinner off a menu and have someone else cook it for me. Can I tell you how excited I am that my husband got a job with normal office hours, so he now will be designated chef of the house?!? Anyway, I digress.

Unfortunately, today wasn't as well planned as last Monday. After picking the girls up, I had to grocery shop for a few items to make the recipes I have for tonight and tomorrow. School days (Monday, Wednesday & Fridays) for Em are NOT the day to go shopping. By the end I was so done with the overtired whining... So, we hurry home, unload everyone and everything, feed the dogs, put the groceries away, and go to start dinner. The sweet potatoes that were on tonight's menu were so nasty! In a week's time, they turned to absolute moldy mush. BLECH!! So, plan B. I'll share the menu recipes, but let me add that by the time Abby was fed, I coaxed Emilee through 8 bites of chicken and green beans, and both girls were in bed and asleep, my masterpiece met my microwave for a quick nuke. Oh well... part of the risks of having kids.

Tonight's menu (with plan B)
Cheeseburgers
Garlic Red Potatoes
Mixed Green Salad
Skinny Ranch Dip/Dressing

The cheeseburgers are a given. I used 93% lean ground beef (amazingly the same amount of points as the ground turkey and Jim will eat it), 4oz patties. Okay, let me stop there and introduce my new best friend. He and I spent a lot of time together tonight. I say he because it is mechanical and pisses me off. So there.

Meet my best pal, Scales. If you don't have one, get one and make sure it's digital. It eliminates guess work and unnecessary points.

Back to this evening's meal. I added a slice of 2% pepper jack cheese to my 4oz burger and topped it with a light italian bun. Total points for the burger... 8pts. I could have skipped the cheese to lower the points, but I had extra to spare tonight.

Now for the recipes. The first is mine, just whipped up tonight. I seriously can't think of another time where I was able to throw something so yummy together off the top of my head. As I said, I'm NOT good in the kitchen. When I'm done it looks like a tornado went through it.


Garlic Red Potatoes
Serves 6
Points Plus Value: 4

6 medium red potatoes cleaned and quartered
2 cloves of fresh garlic minced
2 tbsp Brummel and Brown (B&B) spread (I'll explain why this specific item farther down)
1/2 cup skim milk

Put quarted potatoes in a sauce pan of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and pour back into pan or into a bowl. Add garlic and B&B. Mash with hand masher. Add milk and mash to desired consistency.

Skinny Ranch Dip/Dressing
Serves: 16 - 1oz servings
Plus Points Value: 1

2 cups (16oz) 1% cottage cheese (do not use fat free or it won't settle right)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dips mix
2 tbsp skim milk

Blend all contents in a blender. You can add more milk to make it thinner for dressing, but watch your points. If you add more than a cup and use more than 2oz (1/4 cup), figure it at 3 points instead of 2.

The best part about this recipe is that it is 7g of protein. Use it as a dip with veggies and you have a great combo of fiber and protein for a filling snack.

My review on both of these recipes is two thumbs up! I'm excited to add them both to my favorite recipes and will definitely have a container of the Skinny Ranch Dip in my fridge at all times. Everyone in my house loves ranch dressing and we couldn't find a good substitute for our favorite, Hidden Valley Ranch. This is an awesome alternative. I used about an ounce tonight with my salad by using a trick I was taught during my first journey with WW... dip your fork in the dressing first and then load it with the item you were going to smother in it. You'll use less and save points while still getting the dressing needed to make it a tastey salad. Oh, and the reason I use Brummel & Brown is because it's a great alternative to butter - bakes and cooks well - and is low in points.

Tomorrow's recipe is Crockpot Buffalo Chicken. I can't wait!! Stay tuned. If it turns out, I'll have the recipe and picture in tomorrow's post.

I also need to add that I REALLY need to work on my product photography skills! :o)

Comments

Popular Posts