The Creation of 40 Before 40

My munchkins are home! I can't wait to be done with work so I can hear how it all went and get hugs for the first time in a week!

I survived. *whew* I have to say that staying as busy as I did helped wonders, so did spending time with friends and The Hubby throughout the downtime. I think this was a good prep for Emmy Lou going away to camp for 7 days this summer. The big difference will be that she won't have her phone at all to text me or call. We didn't chat much while she was gone this time, so I know she'll do great with her group of friends this summer. I like that extra reassurance!

As part of my downtime, I added a bike ride to my list of things I accomplished this week to the list. I was supposed to ride 35 minutes in zone 1 - meaning I needed to keep my heart rate in the lower end of my range for my heart rate in a workout. My monitor tells me that my range is 126-156, so I tried to keep the ride in the 130s. It went really well. I finally got to ride the road bike I bought last year. Thanks to my awesome hubby, it's running like a champ! New tires and some TLC and off I went.

It is crazy how much faster this bike is than my hybrid bike that I am used to riding. My hybrid is a mix between a road bike, mountain bike and commuter bike - comfy seat, 21 speeds, gripping tires and decent shocks. It was a good purchase for getting me out riding again 4 years ago! I can still remember my first ride on it. I biked 9 miles round trip out to my best friend's house to show it off. My butt hurt for a solid week after and it took me about an hour and a half!

Last night I ended up over estimating my trip and wound up doing 9.92 miles in just over 54 minutes. I didn't check my progress till I got home and wished I'd ridden the extra .08 miles! Oh well! My heart rate ended up averaging a bit higher than I wanted at 140 bpm. That's pretty close though!


Again, I was highly impressed with my body's performance for my first ride in about six months. Especially since my last longer ride ended with pretty intense side pain. Again, I think that keeping myself in a happy heart rate zone played a big role in my lack of pain during this ride! Unfortunately, my heart rate plays absolutely zero role in preventing the butt pain after riding on that tiny seat for an hour. OUCH! I know that'll improve as I get used to riding again, but dang!

Speaking of sore butts on a long ride... I went out with my two oldest friends yesterday and we started discussing our 40 by 40's. The 40 things we want to do before we turn 40. Thing is, I'm almost an entire year older than one of them and the other I've got by over six months, so they've got a touch more time to succeed with their lists. As I told them about my bike ride, they informed me that I'm going to ride the MS 150 with them before we are 40. HUH?!? Apparently I've been recruited to ride my bike from Duluth, MN (the city just across the river from us) to White Bear Lake, MN (funny enough, where one of my sister's lives).

The goal is to bike 150 miles over two days as a fundraiser for MS. Crazy right?!? My only answer was, "Why don't we see how 15 miles for the triathlon this summer goes first!" Needless to say, we have three years to do this. It's definitely not going to happen this year, since the race is in June. But, after reading the info on the website, it sounds like a lot of fun. EXHAUSTING, but fun! If you want to check out more about the race, go HERE.

I'm slowly adding other things to my 40 by 40 list. I turn 40 in 3 years, 5 months and 13 days. Here are a few things I'd like to do in the next 3 1/2 years.

  1. Complete a sprint triathlon
  2. Complete another half marathon
  3. Complete a Spartan Race
  4. Travel Route 66
  5. See an ocean
  6. Take the kids to Disney
  7. Go to Las Vegas with The Hubby
  8. Take the big 4-0 trip with the ladies (this one will be planned by the time I'm 40, but probably executed after)
  9. Skydive
  10. Try calamari
  11. Go to a Twins game
  12. Go to a Packer Game at Lambeau (may not happen before I'm 40, but definitely on my bucket list!)
  13. Grown my own herb (I've always wanted an herb garden)
  14. Re-learn sign language - I wish I would have kept it up after learning it in college 
  15. Bike MS 150
As you can see, it's a work in progress. Hopefully I won't have to alter it, but we all know that life and injuries can get in the way. That won't stop me from making a list and doing my best to check everything off!! It's basically a short term bucket list.

Anyway... lots going on in this big ol noggin of mine! Some of you may notice that I haven't gotten any swimming in yet for my triathlon training. Fear not! Tonight and tomorrow are karate nights, then Friday I may be able to sneak in the pool while we are at the YMCA for summer camp registration and I plan to take the girls on Sunday to swim some laps and then play with them for a couple of hours. I think it will be a perfect addition to a low key weekend. The Hubby even said he would join me for my training run on Saturday. The hope is that the girls will ride their bikes while we run. Wish us luck! The weather has to cooperate to make this one work.

Comments

Popular Posts