Run Mama Run!!!


Check that out!!! I was out on one of my favorite running paths last night and I was RUNNING!!! Okay, I wasn't running in the sense that some would call it running, but it was running for me. I was not walking. My feet were coming off the ground and landing in strides and my arms were pumping. I was running!!!


I know I've posted this one, but it couldn't be more true!

So, I was scheduled to run 20 minutes of 4 minutes run/1 minute walk. I started with a 5 minute warm up walking at a brisk pace. Honestly, that is something I NEVER did when I ran before. I was horrible about working in a warm up. I've learned that it's pretty important for this old body now! Then I ramped it up to a slow jog while listening to my body. All was well for the first 4 minute jog, so I walked for a minute and picked it back up again. That time I jogged 5 minutes (lost track of time). At this point I could feel the side pain and slowed myself down to a walk.

Here's the crazy part in all of it. The Hubby bought me a heart rate monitor for Christmas and I wanted to test a theory. In the past my side always started hurting after about a mile of running, or if I pushed it too hard in the pool or on the bike and got really winded. So, I paid attention to my heart rate. My target zone is 126-156. When it first started to hurt, I was up around 167. I slowed down into the 150s and it backed way off. When I started to run again and it started to hurt, my heart rate was up around 172. The pain wasn't unbearable though.

By about a mile and a half, I decided I was going to run and try to find that pace where the pain didn't overwhelm me. I found it! I was able to run the rest of the time, nonstop, and that magic spot was 172-175. When it got into the 180s, it would start to hurt and I'd have to slow way down. I didn't have to walk, but I had to slow to a crawl.

Here's how it all wrapped up..



I kept a very steady pace - with my fastest mile being my first one (it would have been much faster if I hadn't walked the first 5 minutes) as usual. In my head I couldn't run a race because my pace was well over 45 minutes for a 5K. Last May I ran a 5K with the girls and Em and I finished in 50 minutes. This year I'll sign up to run with them again, like we do every year, and I know I will beat that time. That's when it hit me... That's why I race!! I race to beat myself, to better my times and to enjoy the run. If I can run almost pain free, then I'm okay with that!!

With that bit of info, I'm happy to announce that I officially have two days shy of two months to get ready for my first 5K race!! I run it every year, so I was planning to do it either way. I just assumed I would be walking this year. Nope!! Emmy Lou and I are setting out to break last year's record (she finished in just over 48 minutes last year)!!!!

Anyway, I shut off my running app at the 3 mile mark and walked the rest of the way back to the parking lot at a slow, recovery pace. The side pain, which had been more of an ache, went away immediately once my heart rate returned to normal. Crazy! So, here was the final info on my heart rate monitor. What a fun little gadget!! And WOOHOO for seeing a nice calorie burn! That's motivation all by itself!


It is so beyond clear that I needed last night to go well. My mood has 100x better. My mind is 100x clearer. I just feel lighter! Well, I feel sore, but lighter. My legs are complaining pretty loudly today, but I completely expected that. I was scared, but motivated. In the end, I think slow and steady will be my mantra, but the end result is that I will get from point A to point B and I will do it running as best as I can!

So, tonight is supposed to be a swim night, but my mom and the girls are headed back a day early. I may go after dinner, but we will see. I apparently have one kid with a temp.... AGAIN! So, it may be a low-key, cuddle kind of night. I have Thursday through Tuesday to get as many runs, bikes and swims in as I can. 

I'm on a mission this week with my food too. My appetite is back in full swing, so I am having to be quite diligent! Here's how the meal plans for dinner are shaping up:

Tuesday: Pesto Grilled Shrimp Skewers on Dreamfields Pasta

Wednesday: Protein Shake and late dinner snack (we'll be out and about all evening)

Thursday: Chef's Choice - This one is up to The Hubby. He will probably pull something out of the THM Cookbook

Friday: Pizza - End of the Challenge and I'm going out to dinner with my parents

Saturday The Hubby and I are going to get out and enjoy ourselves and a much needed kid-free day. Then, Easter Sunday my best friend and I are headed out for brunch and then some sight seeing and hiking. I can't wait!

I said it last week, but I am making sure I stay busy the end of this week and over the weekend while my girls are away with their dad. I know how to battle my anxiety, so I'm going to stay busy, stay active and enjoy my "me time". I need it! I'm also super excited for a short work week!


Comments

Popular Posts