Creating Plan B, C & D

It's no secret here that I really REALLY want to compete in a triathlon. I was all set to the summer after I ran my first half marathon, but then they cancelled it 18 days before race day. Since then my side pain has gotten worse and worse and the idea of completing the running portion of a triathlon is looking less and less likely.

I can swim without pain. I keep a steady, albeit slow, pace that keeps the pain at bay. I can bike with minimal pain. Again, I won't be breaking any speed records, but I have managed to go on several 10-16 mile bike rides. Unfortunately, I cannot run more than a mile without extreme pain. The problem with a triathlon is that you swim, bike and RUN! The problem with a duathlon is that you RUN, bike, RUN. See how this is a problem?


Time to go at it from a different angle. I've come up with three options...

#1... Find a buddy who will do the run portion of a sprint triathlon for me in a relay set up. Not all races offer this option, but plenty do. I have a lot of friends who can easily run a 5K!!

#2... Compete in an Aqua Bike race. I've only found one of these so far, but it's surprisingly on a weekend that I don't have anything planned yet! The downfall of this one is that I have to swim 1.2 miles and bike 56 miles. EEK!! Doable, but intimidating as hell!

#3... Buck up and give it a tri. HA HA HA! Like that pun?? Okay, really though, there's a race down by where my sister lives called My First Tri. The legs are all shorter. The swim is only 400 yard swim, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run. Again, the only struggle here would be the run because I know I can rock the first two portions of this race. 400 yards is less than 1/4 of a mile which I've been doing for a while now.

Honestly, the stubborn side of me really wants to push myself to do #3. The realistic side of me says to pick a race that offers it and do #1. I even texted my best friend this morning asking if she'd consider being my anchor. Then there's the crazy side of me... you can guess which option she's looking at. Realistically, after being almost entirely non-active for the past two years, option two is probably a bit out of realm of reality right now, but is a serious option to consider for next year.

So, the stubborn side of me has triumphed so far. I sorta, kinda printed out the beginner triathlon training program from the race website. Feel free to check it out here. I also have several friends who are training for the Grandma's half and full marathons in June. If any of you, or anyone really, would like to join me in training for this after you've finished your big race, I would LOVE a partner in crime to do this with. If not... I did my first half marathon alone, I know I can do this!

Meanwhile... I'm still working with my pain doctor and praying for a miracle. I can't even imagine how amazing it would be to run pain free at some point this summer, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

I know I bring up racing and the triathlon every year about this time and it always falls through. I'm not saying it won't this time, but I am not giving up on this dream. I WILL do it! Only I can make that happen right? Not to mention, The Hubby and I also want to bump up our karate classes this summer if the kids' sports schedules allow it.

When I have a goal and a paid registration, I make it happen. I believe that's going to be the best way to make this happen and push myself the way I want to this summer. I'll give it one more month of working with the pain doc and then I'll make my decision and get my registration out for whichever one I choose before the rate raise again. Then the training will begin! I have a long way to go!!!

I have everything I need to get started... A pool, a heart rate monitor, a road bike or spin bike and running shoes. The starting workouts - where I believe I'll be camped out for a few weeks vs. one week - are only 20-40 minutes each.


I think it's time to put my stress, frustration and overall GRRR to good use. I may not be able to get out and run my stress away, but I can push through it other ways! Karate is closed for spring break soon. I think that may be my week to jump in with both feet and figure it out from there.

Comments

Popular Posts