The Holidays are Coming! The Holidays are Coming!

October is cruisin' by and we're barreling straight into November. For those unfamiliar with the weather up here this time of the year, it is windy almost every day and it may be 65 degrees or it may be 35 degrees. It really is a complete toss up. A few overly excited snow flakes have been spotted here and there already as well. So, as much as I hate to admit it, it's time to accept that winter is right around the corner. Here's a bit of crazy for you...

Halloween is just 10 days away!
Thanksgiving is 5 weeks from tomorrow!
Christmas Eve is 9 weeks from tomorrow!

Commence panic! EEEK!!! The holiday discussions have already begun at work. We've planned our cookie exchange, our Secret Santa, our Christmas dinner out as a team, our Winter Solstice Celebration potluck as a team (yes, that is the true name of this particular event), and rumor has it they are finalizing the dates of our City/County Building Thanksgiving potluck. Anyone else see a theme?!?
That's how I picture it! Accurate? In past years, yes. This year... oh the temptations! The fun part about it all is that there's always something I know I can eat without guilt. The not-so-fun-part is that it is a major willpower check. I can't spend the next 10 weeks eating everything in sight. I didn't even mention the goodies that arrive on daily basis... donuts and cupcakes and cookies... OH MY! Tis the season to for tighter pants and thicker waistlines right? Ummm... NO! I won't allow it!

What am I going to do about it? Well, prepare, execute and reward! Yup, I'm a giant three year old. I perform much better with a carrot dangled in front of my nose. So, here's what I've thought up. I will weigh in on New Year's Day

  • If my weight is the same from what I've been averaging the last couple of months - let's set it at 182 for betting purposes because I need a non-negotiable number - then I get to treat myself to a mani or a pedi.
  • If my weight is down, but still above 180, then I get to treat myself to BOTH a mani and a pedi.
  • If my weight is under 180 at the end of this little food marathon, then I get to treat myself to a new outfit AND a mani or pedi.

Since I have vacation plans for just after the new year, I think this is a pretty motivational challenge. Oh, did I tell you guys?!? I got a ticket to fly out and see my best friend in Kansas in mid-January!! It was a total whim, but the tickets were too cheap to pass up and I haven't given her a hug since she left to go back home the day after my wedding. I can't wait!! I love to fly and I'd look pretty hot with a new outfit and pretty nails, don't ya think?!

So, that's the plan! In the meantime, colder weather means warmer, comfier meals. Break out the crockpot because that bad boy is going to get some use! This weekend we are testing a THM-friendly crockpot chicken enchilada recipe (I'll post the recipe once I settle on one). I love the smells and the convenience. Just prep, toss it in a pot and let it go till dinner. Heck yeah! The Hubby tried out the Slow Fajitas from page 53 in the new Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook on the guys at the station last night. He said it was pretty tasty. I'll admit, I love having a panel of firefighters who are always willing to try out these recipes. It gives me feedback outside of my own palate on different recipes!

My mood is slowly lifting day by day. I'm 100% on track this week and that feels good. I feel more in control. This weekend will be spent editing pictures and making Halloween costumes. I know that once I get some things off my plate (figuratively and literally) that I'll start to settle back down. I'm not usually prone to anxiety, but I have definitely felt some lately! I'll just keep plugging away and updating here and hopefully I'll learn a bit more about myself, since things have obviously been changing for me. Oh how I usually hate changes... but it's inevitable. If everything stayed the same I fear I would miss something good, so for now I'll continue to endure this bumpy road because I'm choosing to believe it will smooth out soon enough.

Comments

Popular Posts