NSVs... Sometimes You Just Need Them!

Any of you guilty of every asking someone, "Awwww, when are you due?" to a person who is NOT pregnant? Or if you haven't done this yourself, you probably know someone who was either A) asked this question themselves, or B) is guilty of asking this question to someone themselves. We've all heard the of the utter embarrassment right? I think the same goes for weight loss. I believe some people are afraid to make a comment about someone's loss, just in case they take it the wrong way. Most won't say anything unless they know for sure that person has been trying to lose weight, or they have lost so much that there is really no denying it. There's just too big of a chance that someone might take your comment the wrong way right? Something like, "No, I haven't lost any weight, why? Do I need to?" Oh it's happened! 

Also, those people who see you every day probably don't see the progress as it's happening. It's more of a one day realization. I admit, that's how I was with my boss. One day I looked at her and thought, "Wow! I think she's lost weight!" I was the final example above though. I didn't say anything when I first noticed. Then the next month, it was absolutely undeniable, so I felt comfortable making a comment at that point. It's kind of sad actually. Fear of reaction keeps us from making a congratulatory comment. Only because we've all been burned before. We learn from our mistakes right?

So, today was the first day that someone at work made a comment about my weight loss. It actually caught me off guard. She asked me how much I've lost now and said she's been noticing a big difference the last couple of weeks. Again... hesitant right? I don't blame her! Of course, everyone on my team knows how I'm eating and I've shared recipes and answered questions, but this was the first co-worker (actually I was talking to two of the women I work with and then we started discussing the evils of carbs - she says they actually sink her into a depression when she goes overboard!) made a comment about my progress. It's an instant feel good, but I stuttered. I didn't know how the numbers! I wasn't prepared! What kind of horrible test is this?? They laughed at me, knowing me better than that... I'm usually so much more OCD about this type of info. Honestly, the comment just caught me totally off guard.

But what a good feeling! It doesn't really matter what others think of me. I've had people comment on my loss who haven't seen me much since we started this journey, but it always makes you feel that little burst of happiness when others notice your hard work. It truly is a one-of-a-kind reward. YOU know your progress. YOU know your hurdles and accomplishment. YOU see your progress, but YOU cannot duplicate the feeling when someone gives you that verbal pat on the back. It's a very special kind of NSV.

Today's Photo of the Day Challenge pic in my FB group is Progress - How do you measure yours? I took a pic of my too-big work pants yesterday to use today because I use my clothes as a huge indicator of my progress. Yes, I also use the scale and admit I am an obsessive weigher - I weigh daily, if not twice a day. But I don't let it dictate my moods like I used to. How my clothes fit (or don't fit) tell the whole story - even if I'm bloated! Feeling my work pants sag off my bum is also an uplifting feeling... progress!! 

Since I'm at it... how about a list of some of the NSV's I have/had since we are so very close to the TWO MONTH MARK since starting Trim Healthy Mama! Crazy right?!? The obvious SCALE victory will be reported on Friday morning. 

  • Increased Energy - I hit a point where I was desperate to do something so I didn't feel like such a lump!
  • Loss of Inches - Total inches coming at the end of the week!
  • Clothes falling off my body - as in, some cannot be worn at all anymore
  • Adding clothes to the Goodwill pile because they are too big
  • Not obsessing over food ALL. THE. FREAKING. TIME. Seriously, I think I thought about food more than my children - how sad is that?!?
  • Sleep - I can fall asleep almost as soon as I shut my book and wake up easier too. I used to have horrible insomnia.
  • Motivation to keep going - for the first time every I want to keep going. I love my body right now, but I want to keep going. I have bigger goals!
  • My wedding ring is so loose that I have to be careful of where and when I wear it - never in water or it slips off.
  • I VERY seldom have cravings for sweets. This coming from a person who used to eat something sweet after every meal, snack, breath...
  • My nails and hair are growing like crazy! And my nails are far less brittle.
  • I enjoy planning meals for the week and finding new recipes. It's now become a fun challenge.
  • I can actually cross my legs! I don't have to pull the leg over or help it so it crosses completely!!
  • I've gone down from a size 16 to a size 10 in less than 2 months!
  • I am able to go out to eat or go out with friends and not self-sabotage or feel deprived.
  • I can actually visualize new goal for myself - like running again or lifting weights and training for a Spartan Race... something I couldn't actually SEE myself doing before, but wanted to.
  • And finally... We are setting examples for our kids that are actually CLICKING with them!! Good choices are rubbing off. Healthy meals are getting two thumbs up. Our picky eaters are trying new things and LIKING THEM! And when they ask for a snack, 9 times out of 10 they will ask for fruit, yogurt, cheese sticks or deli meat over candy!!
That's two months of progress and I know there are many more NSV's that aren't coming to mind right now. That's okay... I'm sure there will be many more to come over the next 30 days! I'll have to quiz The Hubby and share his too. I'll also share his progress later this week, with his permission. This isn't just about me. I couldn't do this without him. He's my chef, my moral support, my rock... I could not have gotten to this point without him. I have also had a few people request his progress info to share with their better half, so hopefully he can help inspire someone also. Anyway... stay tuned... The Countdown Is On!!! Three more days to the two month mark!!!

Comments

Popular Posts