Absolute, Utter Disbelief! Slight Shock Too!


Ever have those moments where you look at something and then look at it again going, "No way, that can't be right!" I used to all the time with the scale. It was more of a, "No way... I can't have gained that much in a week!" or I tried to put pants on that didn't fit and looked at the size, set them down and looked at the size again to find out my "fat pants" didn't fit anymore. This time it happened in a completely happy way.

I decided to go shopping last night for some new fall clothes for me. I haven't shopped for me in... oh, about 2-3 years. Probably since the last time I lost weight in 2012-2013. I have an amazingly awesome best friend who loves clothes and I get her hand-me-downs though, so I do have new outfits once in a while. I am not a fan of shopping, so this relationship works perfectly for me. Of course, I love her for more than her free clothes. Heck, we've been best friends for going on 24 years now. I decided to keep her a long time ago!

Anyway... I am making myself step outside of my box. I am a creature of habit and comfort. If I could live in fleece or sweat pants and an oversized sweatshirt I would. Since I work an 8-4:30 job in an office with rules about business attire, that's just not possible. Although, I do spend a lot of time in my office barefoot - oh how I hate shoes!! I digress... I need work clothes. My work pants are getting too big, but reality is, I just need more variety. I've ventured into the world of jeggings and leggings after trying some on at Walmart (figured I'd start as cheap as possible in case I just couldn't do it). I didn't look like a stuffed sausage, so I bought some large black leggings and a nice long shirt. I wore it to work on Monday and half way through the day thought, "How have I been so stupid?!? This is pure comfort!!" And so it began...

Last night I grabbed the size I figured I fit into, since my current size is getting baggy, and headed to the changing room. Imagine my surprise when I pulled them up and they were LOOSE! Jeggings that were LOOSE!! Hmmmm... Tried on a pair of skinny jeans (wanted to compare and contrast in my new world) and it was the same deal. Loose and gaping in the back. Well then! I ran back out and grabbed the next size down, still in complete denial, and grabbed a pair of crops off of the sale rack in the same size. I was floored when the next size down FIT! Like up and buttoned and not spilling over the top! My self conscious self will wait a few more pounds to wear them regularly because I know my washer/dryer will do mean things to them, but HOLY COW!!! I took those off at lightening speed and tried on the crops and guess what... THEY WERE TOO BIG!!!! Yes, they were a regular pair of jeans and loose fit, but I have ALWAYS had things fit me tight in the thighs, even if they are a little loose in the waist. Not these! They didn't have the next size on or I would have tried them on for giggles.

I honestly kept checking the tags. I even held up each pair of smaller ones behind the bigger size to compare and see that they were truly smaller. I just wasn't buying that I was fitting into them. Okay... so now I'll share the whole story... I started out at a size 16 as of January when I started my 12 week challenge. Every single pair of 14s that I had were either too small that I couldn't get them over my butt, or were uncomfortably tight. Within a week or so of starting THM I was back into almost all of my 14s. Then, this actually happened last night...


So, like the image at the top says... Let Life Surprise You. That it has! I'm happy to see a new size, but honestly, I'm happier that we decided to take this journey and that we are both pleased with where we've gone with it so far. The rewards are amazing and I don't feel deprived or like I'm missing out. Life has certainly surprised me... I've never been this successful for this long on any lifestyle journey I've chosen. I have yo-yo dieted for so many years. I've been active and not. My weight has gone up and down and my closet contains a solid range of 4-5 different sizes (11-16 to be honest). This is the smallest size I've seen since 2002 though.

My entire life has been "try hard, burn out, get upset and frustrated, feed my emotions and gain weight, get more upset and gain more, hit a breaking point and try hard again, burn out again...." You can see the cycle. I'm motivated and I'm destined not to complete that cycle again. I want to wear one size. I want to enjoy shopping. I want to feel good about myself. And I want to be as healthy as I can and know that I'm doing everything I possibly can to better my health and change my body for the better and hopefully pass that on to our kids. It's only month two... but I don't feel the need to quit yet! I'll keep you all posted of course!

By the way... have I told you all my big goals? Most of you know that I want to complete a triathlon. Well, one day I hope to run again. When I can, I will train for not only a triathlon, but a Half Ironman AND a Spartan Race. For those unfamiliar with either... check them out. Insane, but amazing! I know I could do it if I could find a way to do cardio again. Meanwhile... I'm planning to start with a trainer this fall to start working on the strength conditioning. It will happen!! Somehow, someway!! IT WILL HAPPEN!

Comments

Popular Posts