Time Out for You

It's just really been a good summer. Our kids have been busy and having fun, we have lots of fun in store and I just love PLANNING fun stuff. Sure, I love having fun too, but I get so giddy when I think of things to plan and figure out a way to pull them off.

I didn't update last week, but I signed Emmy Lou up for her first kids triathlon. She will be just shy of 8, so still in the youngest group of participants. She's excited and I'm excited for her! She also got to return to softball last night and had an amazing first game back. I'm so proud of her! When she started, she couldn't even place the sport with the name (although she's watched me play for several years) and after the first practice she announced she loved it and has put her all into it each week since! It's fun to watch her participate in sports now versus when she was a preschooler. She is finding her competitive side now!

She's not the only one with a fun, busy summer. Abbycakes, our youngest daughter, will start dance tomorrow. She has no idea! She's been begging me and I finally signed her up without her knowing. I can't wait to see her face tomorrow! Then K & J are both still participating in swim lessons and improving with each one. It's definitely been a go go go summer when you add in summer camp, parks & rec and family fun/escapes. I wouldn't trade it for anything though!

As I looked over our calendar though, I realized something was missing. Where's Momma's activity time? The Hubby gets time to work out at work and can jump on his bike or go for a run in the afternoons that he's off of work while the kids are playing at parks & rec, but that doesn't work for me. I sit in my office chair all day long. Those who share the life of an office worker with me will understand that unmistakable feeling that your butt is widening across the chair with each hour you sit there. Fun times! It's time to take a time out.

So, I've been obsessing, I mean looking over, our massive calendar and trying to find time to slide in some me time for workouts. I'm a very honest person, so I will be the first to say that mornings are OUT! Not even an option. I'm a night owl, so 9-10pm runs are not out of the question! I need to make sure I leave time to spend with The Hubby and the kids, so it's a fine balance. One that doesn't always work, but I try. Here's what I've come up with...

  • My goal is to work out 2-3 days a week - run, walk, bike, swim, weights, workout DVD, whatever. Just do SOMETHING!
  • My off days I need to make sure I'm getting at least 100oz of water
  • When I feel overwhelmed or over stressed, I need to work out. Plain and simple. It's an instant stress reliever and is a must to not drive my family batty.
  • I'm going to ask my boss if I can sit in on a few workout sessions with them. She's always given us, here in the office, an open invitation. One co-worker already works out with them. But I want to learn to life weights and that's what the focus on. It's a little intimidating, but I want to learn!
  • Workout slots can be 30 minutes or 2 hours. Whatever will work. Work them in! Walk while Emmy Lou is at softball. Go for a bike ride quickly while The Hubby is prepping dinner (with his permission of course). 
  • MOST OF ALL... Do not attend to everyone else's needs and refuse to acknowledge my own. I get cranky when I do that and that's not fair to anyone. I'm a planner, so I need to plan for EVERYONE.
Some may ask why I have to plan time for myself. First, if it's not on the calendar it doesn't happen. Plain and simple. I have a color coded calendar that has my whole life on it. If something isn't on it, it will get missed, forgotten or replaced by something else. So, I have to pencil time in for myself to make sure it happens. Plus, I learned after I moved out of my ex's house how important it was to focus on me. I had spent 14 years being a girlfriend, a wife, a mother and focusing on trying  to make everyone happy that I became miserable in the process. I know I need this. I know I need time for me to be a better wife and mother. I've neglected that for a while now and I need to get it back. So, why waste time? We've all seen this one...


So is biking, swimming, walking and just about any other activity that helps you shed the stress and exhaust your body. I always feel so much better after doing something good for myself.

Okay... that's my next "to do" thing. I've conquered the eating better and removing items from my diet. Those goals are met. Next step is taking time out of our busy schedule for activity and working on ME. It might sound selfish to some, but I assure you it's not. It benefits everyone in my life if I take a time out once in a while. Try it!!

Comments

Popular Posts