Pinterest... What Would I Do Without You?!?

I have been on Pinterest almost since it started. I started with a few boards and basically used it for photography ideas and inspiration (I do portrait photography as a hobby). In the past four years or so, Pinterest has morphed into this huge, amazing, yet sometimes time consuming place full of ideas, adventures, recipes... you name it! Oh how I love Pinterest! The men in my family, on the other hand, have a love/hate relationship with it. Poor guys! My dad has had plenty of projects to keep him busy due to my time spent on Pinterest. The hubby has fallen victim several times too. BUT, they also all have enjoyed several successful Pinterest recipes over the years.

This is where Pinterest comes into our life daily. Recipes! We've used it pretty often over the past three years, but since starting to eat low carb and sugar free, we have found so many options to keep things exciting on Pinterest. It's almost overwhelming at times. It can quickly turn into the black hole where you start browsing and the next time you stop to look at the clock, you've lost two hours. But lately, in our house, it's become more of an easy recipe Google-type option for us. I even succeeded in finally getting the hubby to set up an account so we can share and store recipes on there together.

The funny part is that we really haven't come across any major fails. I think we have had one recipe that we've deleted from our boards. Last night's definitely wasn't one of them. After months of coaxing the hubby to have an open mind about new foods, eating more veggies and trying new recipes with veggies in them (something quite new to both of us, by the way - but we have both really opened up to new options the past couple of weeks He's been downright awesome about it), he made us an amazing dinner last night that was completely low carb, sugar free and packed full of veggies and nutritional goodness. We were both pretty shocked that we liked all components of the meal!


He grilled us some AMAZING Mozzarella Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Breasts and Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (I actually cut the bacon in half and wrap 1-2 stalks together instead of bundling several together. We each ended up with four pieces of asparagus with a total of two full length pieces of bacon). Meanwhile, in the kitchen he was whipping up some Bacon & Smoked Gouda Cauliflower Mash which is way outside of both of our comfort zones. Crazy, but it was all wonderful! The cauliflower mash was a little sweeter than I expected, but it was a perfect compliment to the spicy, saltiness of the buffalo chicken. Here's the finished product.


We were both so stuffed that we actually didn't finish it all. Then, after dinner was cleaned up, I made another batch of Cowboy Cookies to have on hand for the week, but in smaller doses than last week! I don't want to overdo it on sweets, even though they are healthier sweets. Add in a 5.5 mile bike ride and time to watch half a movie we've been trying to find time to watch, and it was the perfect kid-free at-home date night! A huge thank you to Pinterest too, because all three of these recipes were found there!

I think the key to all of this for me is having a hubby who loves to cook, keeping the options exciting by rotating in new recipes with our old tried and true recipes, and working at altering our favorite meals so that they are THM friendly. It hasn't been all that hard and we have found several new "keepers" as far as recipes go.

The best part about last night's dinner was that we each got half of the leftover buffalo chicken breast cut up in chunks to put on top of our salads for lunch today! It's so hard for me to take leftovers with no microwave at work, so I was pumped to have a new salad to try!


By the time I finished everything on the plate, I was even too full to eat the 1% cottage cheese I brought with as a filler!! So, to all you who are out there reading this... I challenge each of you to try a new recipe. Healthy or not, if you have chicken at home search chicken dishes and try something out. It spices up the weekly menu and, in our case, usually turns out pretty great!

Comments

Popular Posts