Is it REALLY a Lifestyle?

So, I had my first non-family member notice my weight loss yesterday (Hello NSV!!). I ran into someone at an appt who I hadn't seen in several months and she was impressed and asked what I've been doing. I laugh, because when I explain it to people they say, "Oh, so you're doing Paleo." No, there are some big differences between THM and Paleo. Mostly the separation of fats and carbs in each meal setting. I've also looked at Paleo recipes and there are many items that those following that plan can eat that we won't include in our recipes, or would substitute. Overall... I don't believe I'm "on a diet" at all. Yeah, we've all heard it,..


Yeah yeah yeah.... right? Well, let's take a closer look at that statement first.

life·style
ˈlīfˌstīl/
noun
  1. the way in which a person or group lives.

Alright, so it's safe to say that even people who fall off the wagon or take a few months off from eating healthy or working out are still living that same lifestyle because that definition says it is how you live. Living life means ups and downs, good days and bad, binges and behaving. Lifestyle doesn't have to mean strict dedication to health and wellness 24/7. It doesn't mean people don't have bad days, or weeks, or months where they aren't following their original plan. That's LIFE!! That's how we LIVE LIFE! We are human. We aren't perfect. It's the effort we put into what we do that will give us our rewards. So, as cheesy as that saying is, it is true, but the way our society portrays is is that if it's a lifestyle then it is our life every single day. I don't know... I have days where I eat everything under the sun or have plans with friends to have dinner and drinks... that's my life. I choose to enjoy life and not let what I eat control my life - I refuse to decline time out with friends because I'm following a strict diet. So, for me, this is a lifestyle. How about we just reword that statement a bit...


There! That one is much better!! Healthy lifestyle. Yes, that fits! That means you choose to make healthy decisions and actions. To me that means I will not abuse drugs or alcohol. I will not hurt my body. I will have a life, which means splurging here and there and I may even take a break from the way I'm eating for a week or a month, but I will ALWAYS love myself enough to TRY! 

So, now that that rant is over... I'm not on a diet. This is the way we are choosing to live our lives right now. My goal is 12 weeks eating this way (Monday we'll be half way there). I'll say "on plan" because I plan my meals to fit eating healthier, but I'm not dieting. This is not a quick fix thing. This is for my health... for the first time in my life it is not about the scale (although, that's an added bonus), but about my health and wellness. I know my body is screwed up, plain and simple. I am just figuring out at this point in my life that I need to make the best choices to help it out with some of it's quirkiness health-wise. Once I hit my 12 week goal, then I'll aim for six months without taking a break. Then my next goal is a year.

I have to ask you though... Does THIS look like diet food???


I wanted to try my hand at making scallops and had already planned to pick up the steak, but the crab legs were on sale, so I decided to boost my Surf & Turf meal. I even bought some specialty olives from the olive bar, but forgot to add them to dinner. Ooops! I finished this up with a piece of skinny chocolate and I was down a pound on the scale this morning! Gotta love it!! Plus, now I have a great idea for our anniversary dinner next month.

Tonight will be my second trip to the movie theater since changing how I eat. I learned the last time that my body did NOT like the buttery popcorn, even in small doses, so I'll be refraining this time. I've got a snack in my purse to tide me over until I can have a late dinner. Plan ahead right?

Comments

Popular Posts