A Weekend FULL of Independence!

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July weekend! We definitely did. It was a weekend full of firsts, traditions and walking down memory lane. I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Thursday my oldest got the a-okay to return to softball with her broken finger. No major damage and they want her to start moving it and get the blood circulating and healing it. Plus, it's her glove hand, so well protected, especially since they aren't sliding into home just yet! Then I surprised her with a trip to the beauty salon to get the pink streak in her hair she's been wanting. Total surprise... especially to her little sister who instantly began sobbing as soon as she saw what Sissy got to do and she didn't. Oh did I feel bad! I assured her that we have lots of big girl stuff coming up for her.

True to my word, we did!! After a fun afternoon of beach fun on Friday, we had a 4th of July Saturday full of fun! The girls and my mom walked in a parade (while the guys and I watched). We visited an old campground I used to go to often when I was a kid. It was fun to show the girls and my hubby some of my favorite places to fish and play. So many memories! More beach time and then a 4 wheeler ride. This was the first time my girls went on a longer, destination ride instead of just roaming around right by the cabin.

That night my little Bug got her big girl moment! We had corn on the cob (not a veggie on plan, but I was okay with that as a holiday splurge) for dinner that night and each bite she took her tooth got looser and looser. By the end of dinner she had that thing just hanging there. She was so excited and motivated to get that tooth out, that when Nana told her to just turn it like a key and pull she did just that and POOF, she had a toothless grin! Then it was HER turn to feel like a big girl as Sissy told her how to go about setting things up for the Tooth Fairy. One more milestone as she keeps insisting on proving that she is no longer my little baby. *sigh* But we were all so excited for her and the video is priceless. Her startled expression turned smile was worth the extra piece of corn on the cob I gave her. Then we were off to the fireworks!

So, as my title says, this weekend was full of independence! Of course, it was Independence Day and that is something we wouldn't have without those willing to start and continue fighting for our country and to them I am beyond thankful, the hubby being included in that group of service men & women. In our little, tiny part of the world there was some personal independence this weekend. This was the first summer I let my girls wander into the lake all alone and play however they liked with NO FLOATIES!! Both have turned into solid swimmers and it's fun to watch them test their skills and play with their newly found freedom.



This was also the first year I let my big girl wander away to play with friends at a big, busy festival while I stayed with the little one. She wasn't far away, but she was not somewhere where I could watch her at all times like the younger one. It's hard letting go! But I knew other people were keeping an eye on the group as well.

This was also the first holiday weekend where I have found my self independent in my food choices. I was in control, the food wasn't. I enjoyed my weekend, had an absolute BLAST and I did not miss the goodies, sweets, snacks, drinks... I was completely ok with sticking to my plan and going with the flow. I even said no thank you to brownies straight out of the oven topped with ice cream, a fresh margarita (a cabin tradition) and 28 options at the local ice cream shop! Okay, I did have a sip of that margarita. Instead of letting the food control me, I enjoyed grilled pork chops with parmesan zucchini crisps and bacon wrapped asparagus the first night, some on-plan cookies while they had brownies, lots of fresh fruit and a salad straight out of my parents' garden. I was satisfied and I didn't feel deprived. I honestly think that is a first! Oh and I was rewarded... I think this was the first holiday where I didn't gain after a weekend of celebrating at the cabin!

It's freeing feeling in control of yourself and not feeling like you are missing out or having horrible cravings. I am impressed at how satisfied I feel and how much fun I'm having with the new recipes! Last night the hubby made Low-Carb Shrimp Scampi. OH MY!!! So yummy!! That was the first time I'd ever made zucchini noodles and they were good!

Tonight we're having mozzarella stuffed buffalo chicken with cheesy bacon "potatoes" (mashed cauliflower). Stay tuned... I'll try to remember a pic of this one to go with the link. Plus I'm making more cookies for the week and I'm searching for a low carb cake to make for my boss's birthday later this week. Yup, all completely on plan!! I never thought I could enjoy food this much and in a healthy way! Crazy!!

Comments

Popular Posts