Epic Fail With Potential

That was the diagnosis of last night's dinner. The Hubby made us a wonderful, THM-friendly Grain-Free "S" Pizza Crust with yummy toppings last night. I guess the recipe called for parchment paper and he used wax paper because we were all out. Unfortunately, we soon understood why the recipe said parchment paper, since the wax paper stuck like it was glued on to the pizza crust! I thought that maybe we could peel it off, but it was pointless trying. Meanwhile, the starving animals across the table from us were losing patience. How did we not have their plates ready when they came to the table?

Side note... I had this plate set when I was a kid! 

Alright, that's not my kid (or my cat), but really guys?!? This was a perfect time to teach my little sweethearts a lesson in patience and expectations. If you expect me to have your dinner ready for you on the table when you are called to dinner each time, then I expect you to have your room cleaned without asking, clothes picked up and put in the hamper and brought down to the laundry room without asking and stuff put neatly in their appropriate spots. Since I can't expect that, but I am patient about reminding them and helping them, they can be patient with us while we figure out the solution to our minor dinner issue. Instead, what I really told them was to sit down and chill out. They'd get their food as soon as we got it off the sticky paper. That shut them up!

It didn't take that long and once we figured out how to scrape off most of the layers of pizza, with some crust still attached, we all ate chowed down like ravenous dogs. Apparently, we were all in need of a little "fast food" type meal last night. Amazingly enough, the little one piped up that she LOVED the pizza and the crust was SOOOOO GOOD. Coming from that kid, I will definitely take it as a win. The older one said it was "ok" but I think she would have enjoyed it more with the crispy bottom that was still clinging to the wax paper for dear life.

It's safe to say we all learned a lesson or two last night. Some learned how to be patient, others learned how to make the best of a sticky situation (pun intended), but the best lesson was that wax paper and parchment paper are not interchangeable. Who knew?!? The Hubby claimed the meal to be an "epic fail with potential." It tasted wonderful, what we got to eat of it. It's just that next time we will make sure we have parchment paper on hand and we will make two pans, since the one was devoured by the four of us in about six minutes flat! And for those wondering, no, I didn't take a pic this time. I will next time we make it, when we aren't brainstorming how to make it more edible.

Ah the fun we have! You can't make up things like that. And I'm sure in a few months one of the girls will ask me if I remember "that time we couldn't eat our pizza because it was stuck to paper" because that's just how they are! Kind of like my little one belting out at the fireworks festival, as everyone grew quiet and waited for that first burst to hit the dark sky, "WHO FARTED?!?" *sigh* Wonderful little creatures, that they are! I wouldn't trade them for anything though, that's for sure.

So, that was our first major dilemma in the multitude of new recipes we have tried the past few weeks. Even at that, it won't deter us from trying it again! Tomorrow we are trying a new Spicy Shrimp recipe and hopefully hitting the golf course for the first time this year. I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts