NSV's and SV's and much needed Zzzz's Oh My!

Is that kind of like lions and tigers and bears, oh my?! Nah... but it was a good weekend! Low key, relaxing and much needed. The hubby hit the 15 pounds lost mark before our 3 week point, so he's pretty happy - as he should be! I hit 8 pounds lost on THM in three weeks, but then realized yesterday that I actually hit the TWENTY POUND mark from the beginning of the year. I was pretty pumped there! I was so frustrated during that 12-week challenge that I couldn't get the scale to budge! But after the challenge, I managed to not gain ALL of the weight back and THM gave me the boost I needed to get that scale dropping a bit more. It's still not moving very quickly, but that's not the only proof there is, so I've been trying to adapt the mentality in the pic below. It's true... if I didn't share it here, no one would really be able to guess my weight accurately.



So, while I had a very surprising Scale Victory (SV) this weekend, I had even better Non-Scale Victories (NSV's). I have been measuring myself every week since starting THM and in three weeks I've lost 14.5" over my entire body. You can check out my measurements by clicking the Progress at a Glance 2015 link on the right side of this page, near the top. I also snuck in some pics to see if I could see any visual changes that I'm missing in the mirror. I mean, I know my clothes are fitting better, but when you look at yourself every day, you tend to miss changes. We will take our official comparison pics at the 30 day mark, but I couldn't wait. Imagine my surprise when I realized by looking at this comparison pics as to why my glasses aren't fitting as well lately.. They've been sliding off all the time and I just figured that I had finally broken them in and they needed to be tightened, since I only wear them at night and on the weekends at home (I just bought them earlier this year). Ummm... nope! My glasses actually must be GROWING! Check it out and please excuse the lack of makeup in both pictures! The top was me waiting for my surgeon before my shoulder repair surgery in April and the bottom one was me yesterday. CRAZY!!!


I learned years ago that pictures tell the whole story! When you think you had a horrible month, just wait until you compare the pictures, you may learn you were entirely wrong and that you were relying too much on that darn scale to tell you what kind of progress you made.

NSV's are even bigger than SV's in my mind. People can't see the SV's, like it says above, but they can definitely see the NSV's. These victories aren't just about you appearance either. NSV's are any feel good thing during your journey. Here are a few ideas....


If you're like me, you can't put the scale away. That's just not realistic. But you can choose to focus on other things besides the scale. Take notice in your efforts! Take pictures before and during, take measurements, set goals and strive to reach them - in the gym, at work or at home. There are so many positive things that come out of life changes and that's what I'm trying to achieve. A LIFE CHANGE, not a diet, not a blip in time. I want to be a healthier mom, a happier me, a more patient and understanding wife. I want to have more energy and enjoy activities together with my family. I want a healthy lifestyle to be second nature for my kids. All of that isn't achieved on the scale!

So, what about the Zzzzz's right? I love sleep! I'm such a night owl, but I love sleeping in in the morning. I feel so refreshed! Well, I got to yesterday because The Hubby was working and the kids weren't home. Oh how I love lazy mornings!! And thanks to that lazy morning, I had a very productive day! That's another NSV really... I was well rested and was able to conquer several projects, get some housework done, prep food for the week and lunch for the next day, make dinner for myself, clean the kitchen, do laundry and I had it all done with time to relax in between and watch parts and pieces of some feel-good movies. Sometimes you really just need a quiet day to reset and recharge!

Comments

Popular Posts