Taco Tuesday Review Day

I am pleased to report that the Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos were absolutely fabulous! They had a little bite to them, but great chipotle taste with a hint of lime for a perfect balance. We ended up using soft shells for the tacos because I just ran out of steam by the time I got home and got lazy. I made cilantro lime brown rice to go with them, but honestly didn't need to. The tacos were amazing without the side and I could have saved the carbs for another tortilla!!

This meal takes a bit to find the balance without finding you've now tipped into the S and E meal categories. Remember, E meals have less than 5g of fat and S meals have less than 10g of carbs. This meal is solidly an E meal as long as you don't go overboard on the sauce or the EVOO you use to fry the shrimp. I used just enough to coat the pan and then kept my sauce to one serving (I used Daisy Light which had 2.5g of carbs for a 2 TBSP serving). If you want to use more oil and more sauce, then make sure you are watching the total net carbs in your tortilla shells. The ones we use are Carb Balance and are 4 net carbs per shell, so two kept us in the S category - without the brown rice of course. For us, last night was solidly E!

The Hubby actually declared this particular meal a keeper after the very first bite! I had to chase mine with a bit of water, but solidly agreed. If you aren't a fan of spicy, then you may want to tone it down on the chipotle chili powder to meet your level of spice.

Tonight is pretty boring food-wise. We have Girl Scouts right after school and then the girls have karate and I have karate. Busy night! I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying the Brownies Girl Scout Troop that I'm leading. My girls go to a private school, so the oldest has been going to school with a lot of these girls since she was in 3K (except the one year in kindergarten when she went to a different school). I've known these girls for years, but each meeting I get to learn a bit more! It's so fun to see how their different personalities create different ideas for what they want to learn this year. They are creating their own curriculum based on the available patches. This probably isn't normal, but it works for us! Our first patch will be the Snacks Patch and we're going to tour the local candy store, as well as learn about healthy and energizing snacks. Pinterest, again, is my hero!!

I'm not sure how many other leaders read this, and I'm sorry to those who really don't give two hoots about Girl Scout Meetings, but I plan to document some of our fun so I can look back for the younger one's troop ideas in a couple of years! Plus, you may get some ideas for fun activities just to do at home with the kids on a rainy day!

So, tonight is a bit more planning with the girls and finalizing our first couple of patch assignments and then making a yummy snack for energy to learn a bit about healthy snack options that can give us needed energy instead of just sweet treats to give us a sugar buzz. Appropriate after all of that Halloween candy they picked up last weekend, don't you think?

Comments

Popular Posts