Happy Veterans Day!


It's almost impossible to not to know a someone, be related to someone, or run into someone who currently serves or once served in our military. One day truly isn't enough dedication to what they do for our country. While I say thank you to my friends, my family and their fellow military brothers and sisters today, we need to remember that it is good practice to thank them outside of this one day.

Emmy Lou has been full of more "bigger kid" questions these days. Since one of our local troops returned home earlier this fall, she's had several questions about what they do, what their families do while they are gone and how to act around someone in uniform. It was a proud day when she pointed out a young man in uniform walking across the Walmart parking lot about a month ago and said, "Mom, he's a soldier. Would it be okay to tell a soldier thank you for what they do?" I told her that is exactly what she should do. This lead to a conversation about police officers. She had heard stories on the radio and the news about officers being shot and even killed in the line of duty. Her next comment made my heart so happy and so sad at the same time, "Mom, we pray for the soldiers at school. We also pray for the police officers - that God keeps them all safe."

As a mom I want to protect her from all of the bad things in the world, but as a child she sees it and tries to make sense of it with the little knowledge of hate, anger and war that she has. She knows that soldiers keep us safe. She also knows that their families sacrifice a lot when their daddies, mommies, husbands, wives, brothers, and sisters go off to keep our country safe. So, in her words, "We should thank the soldiers, but we should also pray for their families and thank them for letting their moms and dads leave them to do their job." Yes, yes we should. I love conversations when our kids show us that they are learning things that they can teach us and those around them.

So, THANK YOU Veterans! Thank you to everyone who has served our country. Thank you to my husband, my uncles, my grandpa, my sister, my brother-in-law, my cousins, many friends and so many, many more who I've never met. Thank you to those who have fought in the past to create a future for our children. Thank you to their families who sacrificed a piece of their hearts while their loved ones served. Our children and community appreciate all of you and our school prays for you. Not just today, but throughout the year.

Comments

Popular Posts