Our Kids Are Listening

Happy Flannel Friday! Seriously, there were 3 people (out of 8) in our daily  meeting who were wearing flannel shirts this morning! Another one had a plaid shirt on. Tis the season I guess.


I'm so beyond happy that it is Friday. I know, I say that every week. I just look forward to the weekends so much. Less running around, more time with my kiddos and hubby and this weekend is our annual Halloween party! Throw in some weekend karate for the big kids and adults and you've got a pretty rockin Saturday. Sunday will be low key with some photo editing, homework, Girl Scout meeting planning and meal planning/shopping. We might even throw in some baking just for fun.

I have a quick Friday story for everyone. My oldest is very aware of how The Hubby and I eat and the ways we have changed our shopping habits to incorporate more healthy recipes, snacks and treats. She often asks me if something is "Trim Mama" or if it is healthy. They are learning a lot about health and nutrition in school this year (and we are working on it in Girl Scouts this month).

Last week we were talking about Lent and having to give something up for 40 days. She asked me what I would give up for Lent and I told her I didn't know yet. Going to a Catholic school she's watched friends give up some pretty big things for Lent. After a bit of thought, actually I thought we were done with the conversation, she pipes up, "I know what I'm going to give up for Lent, Mom! I'm going to give up sugar. I'm going to eat like you and Andy for Lent. I'm going to eat healthy and give up sugar, which means nothing out of the treat bucket."

I was impressed, but wanted to be sure she understood what she was suggesting. I went over things she would have to change or give up and she kept nodding and assuring me that she could handle it and she was excited to do it. I told her that it would be harder at Daddy's and she said she would talk to him about it and do her best there, but work with me on planning her food at home and learning which foods are on plan, why and what her best food option is for each meal.

Now, Lent is still three months away and in true 8 year old fashion, she could change her mind 77 times by then, but last night while grocery shopping - just the two of us which is very rare - she asked what kind of lunches she will be able to take to school during Lent (remember these conversations were a week apart). I gave her a couple of options and she decided what she wanted. We bought all of the items and she sat down last night and made her lunch - complete with an apple, a chef salad with ranch dressing, a Cutie nectarine, a greek yogurt for her snack and a bottle of water!! I was so proud of her choice to take a healthy lunch to school. We spent a bit of time discussing together the options she had and the reasons she wanted to pair items together. We weren't discussing them in the terms of S meals and E meals. THM stresses that kids need healthy carbs with every meal, so they eat a majority of crossovers.

My big girl is growing up and I am so proud that she can see the changes we're making and start to understand WHY we're making them. Beyond that, she wants to implement those changes into her life voluntarily. So, if you ever wondered... our kids are listening and what we say and do help them decide what they do. I'm elated that I can say I'm meeting one of the goals I set for myself three years ago... set a good example for my girls so that they develop a healthy relationship with food. This story proves that I'm succeeding and I just need to keep doing what I'm doing!

With that, I leave you on this wonderful Friday with a beautiful picture that my friend and neighbor shared on Facebook this morning (with her permission of course). It seems we are a very lucky lot around here. She found the end of the rainbow and it was right in our back yard. This is the river that splits Minnesota and Wisconsin. While the pot of gold may or may not be under that water, I think we can consider ourselves pretty lucky to have the end stop right here at home! By the way... I have NEVER seen the end of the rainbow before. I think this is so cool!!

This is not Photoshopped, I promise! This is a shot off the Bong Bridge over the St. Louis River for locals reading this blog and trying to place that landscape.


Comments

Popular Posts