Day 29 of 40 - I Will Survive The Month Of May!

Tell me... how does a week go from, "Dang, what a busy week!" to "HOLY HELL!! How are we going to survive this one?!?"

Seriously though... We always have a busy schedule. That's totally normal. Karate several days a week, four kids involved in different extra curriculars, The Hubby's odd work schedule... our life is busy and that's normal for us. This week, however, seems to have gotten out of control all on it's own! Okay, maybe not on it's own...

Really though, it's always insane as we inch toward summer break. Then insanity takes on a whole new meaning as the kids start their Summer-O-Fun events! But... I wouldn't trade any of it for the world!

Anyway... this weekend was an awesome weekend! I got my much needed rest day on Saturday with no hubby, no kids and no demands on my time! That was a very nice change of pace! So, what did I do with my Super Free Saturday? I slept in and I went to the gym! I also made myself dinner, which is very rare because I hate to cook for one. There's a story behind that though.

I'll start with my time at the gym. Due to cold and wind I had to get creative with my training and decided to do half of a sprint triathlon indoors. I was curious how my body would feel and how my time would look. Both actually weren't too bad! I swam 500 yards in 14 minutes (okay, that one wasn't half of the distance, that was one lap shy of the full distance - I had my yards to meters calculations backwards. I needed 500 meters which is 547 yards. Ooops!), biked 7 miles in 25 minutes and ran 1.65 miles in 18 minutes. My transition time was 5 minutes from swim to bike and 2 minutes bike to run for a total time of 1:08. The triathlon I'm training for is 500 meter swim, 15 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. My goal is to do it under 2 hours. I'm happy with where I'm at. I have two months and one day until race day... I've got this!

After my workout and a nice chat with a friend at the gym, I decided I needed to go to the store to get the stuff to make some homemade Chinese food. Where's the story, right? During my workout, I was watching an episode of Gilmore Girls (I get so bored working out inside with nothing to look at!). Anyone who has watched that show knows they have a solid obsession with Chinese food. By the end of my workout I had such a horrible craving for it and didn't want to ruin my workout by eating horrible fried foods, so I hit up Pinterest for some ideas and off I went.

Oh sooooo good!! I made Easy Pepper Steak and chicken fried rice.


Sorry about the awkward picture. I was trying to take a picture of it, steaming hot, without letting the dogs snag any on my way to chill on the couch and enjoy it. It definitely hit the spot!

For those wondering about the recipe... I used 1/8 teaspoon of glucomann powder instead of the corn starch the recipe calls for and coconut oil for my oil to keep it all on plan. I used brown rice and deli chicken breast for the fried rice, but the combination of the rice and the steak, plus the oil used to cook it all did put it solidly in to a crossover meal by THM standards. I was okay with that after a pretty solid workout and barely anything else to eat earlier in the day since I can't eat before a workout. I even had seconds!

After dinner I managed to create Jack Jack's birthday invitation and start on Abbycakes's. They both want to invite classmates this year, so a Facebook invite won't cut it for everyone. I also started designing Jack Jack's party t-shirt. They'll both have theme based t-shirts after I create their iron-on images. Fun times! I've actually missed editing and designing, so it was fun to sit down and play. I'll share the results after the party. I'm having a blast planning this one. They decided on a Lego theme!

Yesterday was our big family karate tournament day. We had a blast and as nervous as we all were, everyone did awesome! Emmy Lou placed 3rd in forms for her age group. Kenziebug dominated her sparring division and took 1st.


My partner and I took 2nd in team forms. Although, there were only two teams. Hee hee!! We actually did pretty well. The Hubby took 3rd in sparring after bopping the first guy on the head three times to lose his first match by disqualification (no head contact). In his defense, the guy was short and lunged when he punched, so he kept jumping right into The Hubby's hand. It was actually pretty humorous because he wasn't hitting him hard, but he couldn't seem to stop! The second person he sparred against was his height and he didn't touch his head once!

Finally, I took 2nd-ish in forms in the adult yellow belt division. Funny story though. I was awarded 2nd place. Then our sensei came up to me after and informed me that I had actually gotten first place, but the tie for first was miscalculated or something and I ended up in 2nd. Either way, I was pretty pumped!


Everyone must compete in a tournament to advance from a beginner belt to an intermediate belt, so we all had to do it. I was okay with whatever the result was as I stood there watching the other competitors do forms that were far more showy than mine. In the end one judge gave me a 9.0 (highest score) when scoring me and another gave me an 8.9. I was pretty darn proud of that much. All-in-all, it was a fun experience and we always enjoy spending time with our karate family.

It was a busy, but fun weekend! Needless to say, everyone was ready for bed last night. I have a feeling that will be the case every day this week. Plus, Abbycakes is still battling whatever bug has ahold of her. After a round of antibiotics, we're still fighting fevers and a sore throat. Poor punkin!

Never a dull moment! Even still... we managed to put together our meal/training plan for the week.

Monday: (Cross Train - Karate) Bunless Burgers with Bacon Wrapped Grilled Asparagus

Tuesday: (Swim) Garlic Grilled Chicken with Quinoa

Wednesday: (Cross Train - Karate) Cheese Stuffed Meatballs with Dreamfields Pasta

Thursday: (Bike) Protein Shake - Kids will get pizza at the roller rink

Friday: (Run 5K) Dinner TBD - Kid's Choice

This coming weekend I have my girls and we have Girl Scout Camp Cleanup and an end of the year Girl Scout party, so I'll have to pack food for myself to avoid indulging on the fun foods the kids will eat.

Less than three weeks left of school! Only FOUR DAYS until my next race! Things are ramping up around here!!

Comments

Popular Posts