Day 18 of 40 - Throwback Thursday... Progress and Success!

I mentioned yesterday that I came across some old pics of me that I was going to share today. First, I have to start by saying that I very seldom let myself be on that side of the camera. I was usually the one behind it, taking the pictures, not getting my picture taken.

There were reasons for that... I hated having my picture taken. I hated how I looked, how I felt, what I had let myself become. I battled my weight all of my life, but things really got out of control the final few years of my first marriage. Then I had Abbycakes and suffered from post-partum depression and, well, that didn't help one bit!

Thing is... I refuse to dwell on it all. What I want to show here is that I made changes and once I started making changes I started seeing progression and success! So, here's my Thursday Throwback... Progress and Success!

Abbycakes's Baptism - Early 2011 - 234 lbs 
I had just started this blog!

May 2012 - VEGAS!!! My first taste of adult freedom. 
I was down 27 pounds from the first picture.

October 2012 - This was just weeks after I finished my first half marathon.
I was down 41 pounds from the first picture.

Fall 2013 - My first mud run!! I was playing with the same 
5 or so pounds here as the last picture.

August 2014 - Our Wedding :)
Still maintaining the weight of the last two pics.

September 2015 - My 36th Birthday and down 56 pounds from that first picture!

January 2016 - Gained back about 12 pounds from where I was at in the last pic. 
Since then I've played with the same 5 pounds or so - up and down, up and down. *sigh*

Well, that was a fun walk through the past five years! Really though... I can look at those older pictures and be proud of who and where I am right now. Sure, I don't like how I looked back then, but I know the reasons behind how I looked and I know I can hold my head high because I made choices and I took action and I've made progress!! It may be extremely slow progress these days, but it's still progress! I'm proud of where I'm at and I wouldn't be here without having experience where I've been!

I found my way to happiness and being me again... I learned to love running, I started playing hockey again, I started playing softball again, I took time to be me and go out with friends and do non-mom things while also spending times just enjoying my kids and making memories with them as well. I found my happy place over the years. Sometimes I still lose sight of it, but for the most part I find my way back.

So, tonight I'll get off of work and hit the trail for my last short run before my first race of the season. I will hold my head high and let all of my cares and stresses from the day just slip away with each step. Then I'll go home and hug my kids, because without my past I wouldn't have them. I'll also give my hubby a hug and kiss and tell him I love him because if we both hadn't experienced our pasts and had things play out the way that they did, we never would have met!

It's pretty crazy where some paths lead you. I had a friend post this the other day...


While it is an awesome song - gotta love Garth Brooks - it's also very true. There were times I prayed so hard for some things that just never happened. It took time, but now I see why so many of those prayers went unanswered. This was the better path!

Anyway... I'm done being all deep now! Happy Thursday! Tonight is a short run, a quick dinner and then karate. Have I mentioned yet how excited I am for a rest day tomorrow?!?

Comments

Popular Posts