Day 36 of 84 - The Mysteries of Life...

Last night's being... Why do children wake crying in agony with an ear infection after the clinics and urgent cares have closed? Why can't these awful, painful, making-mommy-feel-helpless events happen during the day when we can get help right away without going to the emergency room? One of life's many many mysteries. But, I was contemplating it last night around midnight while holding and rocking a sobbing four year old who alternated between, "my ear hurts" and "I'm tired." She was miserable, I was miserable, meds weren't helping... And it was like they tag teamed me! The older one struggled to fall asleep as she is still struggling with pneumonia and as soon as she was quiet and I thought I could get my "all the things I need to do after the kids go to bed" chores done, the little one was sobbing from her bedroom. Did I mention this is week, oh I don't know, 92 or 93 of sickness in our house??

So, off we went. My little critter, in her Ho Ho Ho Christmas pjs with Hello Kitty slippers, her latest stuffy that she must have at all times and her Anna and Elsa blanket, and I loaded into the van at 11:45pm and making the five block trek to the nearest ER. Funny how suddenly my little sobbing mess became quiet and shy. She was just screaming from the top of the stairs how bad it hurt and for me to hurry and now the nurse is asking her questions and she is keeping a brave face and only wincing while holding her ear. How do they do that?? Who taught kids to be tougher and braver at the doctor's office. I think the doctor actually doubted me and was labeling me as the over protective mom-type until he looked in her ear. Yeah, pretty nasty in there isn't it??? Mom's intuition is still sharp as a tack! She also had a lot of congestion on the left side, but since she was given the same antibiotic as her big sis, I let it go that he didn't even listen to her chest before we left, even after the nurse made a comment. Yeah, Mama Bear was a bit irritated with the lack of bedside manner, but at least they gave her something to take the pain away and gave us the tools to fix her and keep her comfortable while she heals.

So that was my night and early morning (and from the look of Facebook, many fellow mom's shared a similar evening or at least sleeplessness from all of these poor sick kiddos). She finally crashed around 1:30am and I followed shortly after. Unlike her, I had to get up 4 short hours later and my oldest actually tried to tell me that she was too tired to get up. Ooops... wrong morning to try that one kiddo. Mama's sympathy for tiredness was still fast asleep downstairs in her room.

There are two highlights to this story though.

One, my big girl got to walk to school from my parking spot today since I didn't have to walk them in to sign in the little one. It was a whole half a block with only and alley to cross to get to the back door of her school, but she was excited and I was proud to watch her walking away like such a big kid. It was a great start to the work day. She even stopped half way, turned around and yelled, "Bye Mom! Love you! Have a great day!" Awwwww!

Two, but most importantly, today is my hubby's birthday. Once again, he is closing the gap between our ages, but alas... he will never catch up. I keep telling him I'm like a fine wine... I may be older, but I get better with age! So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY!!! I'm so proud of him for joining me in this journey - life in general and our current strive for a healthier life currently. He joins me at the gym as well as working out on his own, searches for and makes amazing, healthy meals and supports me through it all as well. I couldn't ask for a better man to celebrate today.

Needless to say, today is a bit of a challenge. Exhaustion makes me want comfort foods. Thankfully, since I'm stuck in my office all day, that's not an option. And tonight I will bring hubby and his fellow firefighters some birthday cake and stick to eating a small piece for myself and letting them devour the rest. Not to mention I may be a little short tempered today and irritable. I have no idea why! I think most of all... I want my girls to be healthy again. We are working hard on making our bodies healthy and teaching the kids how to eat healthy... I just need their little bodies to cooperate so they can feel better.

Okay... I'm done. This too shall pass!! Have an awesome Tuesday everyone. Spring has GOT to be on it's way!

Comments

Popular Posts