Revisiting An Old Post... Withdrawals Suck!

So, back when I started THM the first time, I wrote a post about withdrawals. If you missed it, you can check it out here. The basics were that I had researched sugar and caffeine withdrawals and came up with a list.

Since I'm on day three of really behaving myself after a weekend of going way over the top, and only being somewhat on track last week, I decided to revisit that post, or at least that particular list and do some comparing.

Here's the list for those of you who didn't click the link to the old post:
  • Dizziness: It is common to feel somewhat dizzy when withdrawing from the consistent ingestion of high amounts of caffeine.
  • Flu-like symptoms: Some people report headaches, muscle pain, as well as vomiting. Obviously these can be minimized with gradual tapering of caffeine as opposed to “cold turkey” quitting. Typically only people that have become extremely dependent on caffeine will exhibit flu like symptoms.
  • Grogginess: Anyone that drinks caffeine can experience a “crash” and feel groggy. This will eventually go away as your body and brain recalibrate to life without caffeine.
  • Headache: Some people report standard headaches for the first few days of withdrawal, while others report experiencing migraines. This is your brain undergoing an adjustment – eventually this will go away. In the meantime take some Tylenol and wait a few days – the headaches will subside.
  • Irritability: If caffeine gave you a slight mood boost or subtle feelings of happiness or perk, it is common to be irritable when withdrawing.
  • Lack of motivation: If you relied on caffeine to provide you with motivation, it’s going to be difficult getting through a few days or weeks in which you have zero motivation.
  • Lethargy: Most people end up feeling vey lethargic for a few days after quitting the use of caffeine. Some would say that this feeling is like a minor hangover.
  • Mood swings: Some people experience minor mood swings during their withdrawal period.
  • Poor concentration: The inability to concentrate is very common. Caffeine is well known to enhance cognitive functioning so stopping it can negatively affect cognitive performance.
  • Sleepiness: The tiredness and sleepiness may be difficult to cope with, but it will eventually subside.
  • Sluggish: It is very common to feel like a total slug for a few days when quitting caffeine.
While I'm lucky enough not to suffer from all of the above this time - I'll pat myself on the back for not digging my hole any deeper, I guess - I am ailing from several of the side effects listed above. My whole body has been achy the last two days and my stomach has felt quite blah today. I have a fuzzy brain and lose a thought as soon as it enters my brain! Retrieving things from my short-term memory is much like working on an Apple IIe. Slow, painful and almost impossible!

I haven't had many headaches lately, but the last two days I've been plagued with an ongoing nagging headache. I'm irritable, but I can't blame all of my current mood on sugar. Stress plays a role right now. The long and short of it is... I'm tired, my brain is foggy, I feel like a bump on a log, I can't focus, I'm crabby and everything hurts. I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm suffering from sugar/caffeine withdrawals again. Fun times!

To beat the beast, I'm planning to run to karate tonight and attend my first class since we started summer break in early June. We are busting our tails to prep for the belt test in September in 1/3 of the time we usually get. Then I plan to run/walk home after class. It's only 2.5 miles from home to the dojo, so it'll be a good workout!

My other goals for this week are to drink lots of water, go to bed before 11pm, get my food choices back on track and exercise at least 5 days - 1 swim, 1 bike, and 3 runs. Karate is just an extra that got thrown into the mix last minute. We'll consider that cross training!

I will push through this. I did it once. I swore I wouldn't be this weight again or suffer from withdrawals again. Guess I needed a serious reality check as I was thinking I could resume old habits and not end up back where I was. Oh well!

The triathlon is two weeks from Sunday. I'm nervous, but I'm going into it knowing that I will do my best and be happy to just finish! The 9-miler is five weeks from Saturday. My long run is 5 miles this weekend, so I'm on track for that at least! Karate belt testing is six weeks from Saturday and I have LOTS of work to do for that! I will be putting in three classes per week, no questions asked, for the next six weeks to meet the 18-class requirement.

Finally, the half marathon is 11 1/2 weeks away. EEK!! I'm excited, but also overwhelmed. I want to do it, I want to train for it... I WILL compete in a half marathon again. Finding the time to train with the rest of our family's schedule is a bit tough, but I will do it. As hard as it is to put the kids' stuff on the back burner, or depend on The Hubby a bit more, it's my only choice right now if I want to be ready in October. It's hard to remember that it is okay to say no or not always put the kids first and it's a slippery slope once you get into that habit.

Yes, I'm a wife and a mom, but I'm also a strong, determined woman who has goals. Juggling is tough, but moms and dads have needs too... If I can stress anything to anyone reading this, it's that you need to take time out for YOU. Schedule in time to do something for yourself. Workout, go for a run, do whatever you need to do for "you time". In the end, I firmly believe it makes you a better parent, while teaching your kids that it's okay to focus on yourself... now and when you are an adult with 1,001 demands coming from every direction!



Comments

Popular Posts