A PSA For All - Laugh If You Want

I have a Public Service Announcement (PSA) for all of my readers. Before you judge me or laugh, hear me out!

Wednesday morning The Hubby was up and off to work before I was up. Our usual morning routine is that I get up, shower, wake the girls and then go get dressed while they have breakfast. We all share the bathroom as everyone gets ready - I even do their hair. Meanwhile, I start my coffee maker at some point during my back and forth through the house. I have an old school coffee maker, it doesn't even have a clock or timer on it. It also doesn't have auto shut off... yeah that was a bit of an issue when I first started making coffee at home.

I always make my coffee just before we head out the door. I was exhausted Wednesday morning. I was chasing the girls around the house, trying to hurry them up and get us all out the door somewhat close to on time. Right before we left I poured my coffee into my travel mug, added some heavy cream, xylitol and caramel extract (my go-to THM-friendly coffee creamer) and off we went.

Fast foward to the girls and I stopping at home quick after work, but before softball, to let the dogs out. There was my brand new container of heavy cream. That stuff isn't cheap! Especially the big container. I felt the container and while it was COLD, it wasn't warm either. Our central air had been on all day, so I thought I'd give it a shot and salvage it.

Go ahead... groan and roll your eyes! Laugh at my stupidity. The Hubby did and I don't blame him. He gave me a look that totally said, "Really?!? Are you really that stupid." Although, he didn't say anything along those lines. I had my doubts too, but I use so little in my coffee and the next morning it smelled just fine, so I put my 1/4 cup in my coffee and went about my day.

I was fine pretty much all day. I had one small battle with an upset, gurgling tummy, but went about my business and even went for my planned swim (more on that in a bit). Today, I figured I would just go with it and added cream to my coffee again.

Today karma caught up with me in a big way! All I can say is... the internet is right!! If your heavy cream is left out of the refrigerator for longer than two hours, throw it out. Better safe than sorry! Lesson learned!


Moving on... I have to say that I'm super happy with my swim last night. I went into it somewhat dreading it, but knowing that I had to do it and I had to push myself to get to 800 yards (16 laps in the YMCA pool with a lap being down and back). Up to this point, my farthest swim was 750 yards. I used to only be able to do 50 yards at a time. Last night I wasn't allowing myself to rest until I got to 100 yards. Once I hit 600 yards, I decided to push myself to 800 without a break.

Once I hit 800 yards I figured I might as well keep going and make it an even 1,000 yards (or 0.568 miles). I did it!! I was slow as sin, but I did it! Even better is that I did the entire thing while sharing a lane with another swimmer while the swim team was hitting it hard in the three lanes next to us, so the water was rough and busy and I had to watch for another swimmer!! It was awesome practice!

We wound up eating grilled bang bang shrimp and quinoa for dinner last night. Since The Hubby makes that one by taste, all I can say is that he mixes sweet chili sauce and sriracha sauce together with greek yogurt for the bang bang sauce. Yes, there's some sugar in both, but not enough to really worry us since we're not "purists" as the THM authors put it. I'll look around and see if I can find a similar recipe to share tomorrow.

Till then, remember... Heavy cream does go bad when left out!

Comments

Popular Posts