Mama Versus The Evil Wetsuit: Season 1

How's this week going?? How about I show you with one picture...






That is actually a pretty accurate visual!


Weekends may be the death of me yet! I do so well all week long, but then come completely undone on the weekends. Okay, not completely, but close. It was a really good weekend, just not my best food decision making skills at work.

Saturday I was the photographer at a beautiful wedding! The bride and groom were absolutely adorable, it was great to see people I haven't seen much the past few years and The Hubby and I had a great day together. It was also exhausting, but I couldn't have asked for it to go any better. Dinner was AMAZING! The groom's grandpa is known for his cooking skills, plus several friends pitched in and they provided an absolutely fantastic dinner. It definitely wasn't 100% on plan, but it wasn't way off. The cupcakes we enjoyed, on the other hand, were very far off plan!

Sunday I was on a mission! I wanted to get in a solid swim and a run. My initial goal was to head to my parents' house and go out for an open water swim in the wetsuit I borrowed from my sister-in-law, but the weather wasn't cooperating. Instead, I headed to the YMCA and kicked out a 1,150 yard swim! I felt great!! That was twice the distance I'll need to go for the race. I wasn't fast, but I only took one short break at the 550 yard mark!

After my swim, I ran home to grab my running shoes and headed to my favorite running path. I ran three steady miles in the rain and it was the most cleansing run I've run in a long time! I felt great, I kept a good pace and I barely had any achy muscles the next day.


Now back to the wetsuit. First off... I want to go on record stating that those things are horrible!! I may change my mind once I've worn it in the water a few times, but I'm pretty sure I had my first panic attack when I tried it on this weekend.

There's a learning curve to putting on a wetsuit, so it's safe to say that the first time I put it on I didn't know how and it didn't go well. I got it up my legs, over my hiney, up my ribs and I was good. Then I tried to get it up my arms, over my shoulders, zipped up and velcro'd around my neck and everything went downhill from there. My heart started to race and I was flat out panicking! I started yelling at The Hubby, "Get me out of this thing! Get it off!" I couldn't peel it off fast enough. I was a wreck!! Then I started to get upset that I wasn't going to be able to do my leg of the tri and added more anxiety. I put it aside and decided to walk away for a bit.

After we got home from the wedding, I decided to try it on again. I took my time this time. I even Googled how to do it. I got it up onto my arms better than the first time and it fit better. I still only lasted about 10 minutes before I had to take it off. Who knew my kryptonite would be a wetsuit!!

No worries... I will not let it win! I will keep putting it on and I plan to go out for a swim in it Thursday - one way or another. If the weather is horrible, I'll just have to take it to the YMCA for a test run! I will not fall to this beast!!! I have five days until the race... I've got this!

Comments

Popular Posts