Morning Journal - Day 5 ~ Tired = Mindless Eating

 


Have you ever had those days where you just can't seem to wake up? Where you feel that all of the caffeine in the county couldn't chase this exhaustion away? Today I'm having one of those days and it's driving me crazy.

I have been working the past few weeks to focus on feeling my feelings and addressing them appropriately. I'm also making a solid effort to only eat when I'm truly hungry, like rumblies in my tummy kind of hungry. 

When I'm tired, I want to eat nonstop. Honestly it makes zero sense because I'm not hungry. Shoot, with all the water and coffee I've drank this morning, I couldn't possibly put anything else in my body, yet I want to eat, and I want to eat comfort foods.

So, today I went out on a search and find mission. No, it was not for comfort foods to stuff in my face, so score one for me! I actually researched the best morning foods to eat to increase low energy, or wake you up. Heck, I'm not even worried about morning options. I've been tired all day. How can I defeat this horrible cycle, other than getting more sleep at night because I am working on this one already.

First, there are a lot of suggestions out there and I believe some are focused more on their own agendas than posting the best, and healthiest, options. But, overall there were some common factors across all of the articles I read...

The Best "Wake Up" Food Options

  1. Bananas - not only are these a great source of potassium to keep muscle cramps at bay, but it contains natural sugars that help with increasing energy while still stabilizing insulin so you don't get the super spike and super crash.
  2. Almonds - natural almonds are a good source of proteins, good fats, and and fiber, which is the perfect triple threat for a happy, more energized body. Like any other food, you still have to eat them in moderation. Eating a giant bag of almonds every day will likely have a less positive affect on your goals.
  3. Oatmeal - this is a energy packed complex carbohydrate that revs up your system and puts the extra pep in your step on a sleepy morning. Plus, you can pair this with the above options for a energy-packed punch.
  4. Eggs - Does anyone else remember the egg commercials from 1990's... The Incredible Edible Egg? They're not wrong! Eggs pack a protein punch that helps increase energy and keep you full longer.
  5. Spinach - have you ever wondered why people add spinach to their smoothies? It's not just to sneak that serving of veggies in. The vitamins in spinach help the body with energy production. Additionally, spinach is a good source of iron and low iron can be a culprit for exhaustion.
  6. Chia Seeds - these tiny little seeds are easy to add to so many meals - oatmeal, smoothies, etc. - and they have a crazy trick... Chia seeds can absorb up to 10 times their weight in water, making them easier to digest essentially turning food into fuel faster. They are also stuffed with awesome nutrients and vitamins making them the quintessential "Super Food"!
  7. Watermelon - Dehydration can often be the culprit of feeling tired or sluggish. Watermelon is easily digested and has a high water density, so you get to enjoy the sweet, goodness of fresh watermelon while adding to your water intake and getting a quick shot of important vitamins.

So, I guess I need to go grocery shopping to pick up a few more items. We always have chia seeds on hand because they are an easy item to add to other foods for the extra pep (and kid #3 loves to eat them by the handful) and almonds and oatmeal are often found in our pantry as well. But I could go for a daily banana, and maybe even a hard boiled egg to add to my morning meal!

 


 

Morning Journal 6/8/22

GOAL:  

My goal remains the same this week, with one alteration...

I will also work hard to improve my sleep habits, making sure I shut down before midnight.

My realistic and doable next best step(s) to help me get there today is to...

Start a solid nightly routine. Less "game time" in bed, make sure the kids know that I will be "off-line and unavailable" by 10:30pm so they can ask their questions, or get their snuggles in before then. Take meds and get in bed by 10:45pm which allows me time to glance over last minute items and read for a bit before I shut everything off before midnight. This is huge because lately I find myself still awake at 1, 2, even 3am on work nights. I need a better system to train my body to wind down sooner.

Three positive things from yesterday:

  1. I got more steps in yesterday than my hubby, who was at work (firefighter) all day, with a relatively busy day. I never get more steps than him!
  2. I stopped eating when I was full at all meals.
  3. Another day of good hydration!

Three things I can work on today:

  1. Shutting everything down for bed earlier. It's not just about BEING in bed, it's about going to sleep at a decent hour.
  2. Continue to listen to my body and wait for the proper cues before eating.
  3. Avoid eating after 9pm so I don't reach for desserts to satiate a craving.
I've got this!! Little by little I feel like I'm taking back control over my body, my emotions, my reactions, and my overall life!

Comments

Popular Posts