Day 10 of 84 - Second Week Slump

No worries, the motivation is still there. The honeymoon is over though. I've always believed that a healthy lifestyle is far more mental than it is physical. You have to have your head and heart in it in order to really get the most out of your hard work. And everyone, at some point, hears that little voice in their head say things like, "All that for nothing!" or "This isn't working." or maybe just a plain old "YOU SUCK!" I've been there many times. It's so easy to talk yourself out of workouts, out of a healthy and planned meal, and out of finishing what you started. I can't tell you how many times I've convinced myself that I'm just meant to be a big girl. But that's not true. I've just let the negative side overrule the mental portion of my journey... repeatedly. Eventually, a few days, weeks or months later, I suck it up, dust off and get back to ruling the mental portion with a positive outlook. It's just really hard to keep that positive positive outlook in the driver's seat.

With that, welcome to the Second Week Slump. My Awesome SIL and I were talking about it this morning and she told me that other ladies in our challenge group were talking about it last night. We are all victims. What does this tell me? That I'm not alone, for one. Also, that it's normal! This is a part of the process. First week was AWESOME success. Now my body is going "WAIT, WHAT?!?!?" I don't blame it. I went from being a major couch potato the last several months and eating out or grabbing quick and easy (aka non-healthy) foods to working out 3-5x a week and watching my calorie intake. My body is in panic mode. It's not letting anything go. Add to that (sorry for the TMI) that it's TOM for me and my body is holding onto everything it can. I'm not packing on the pounds, but I'm back to feeling the water retention and overall bloated feeling again and the scale has barely budged this week. Oh well... it has to figure it out eventually. We aren't keeping any prisoners. Let those pounds go!!!

Anyway... the second week is almost over. I'm not looking forward to the scale tomorrow, but I can honestly say that I did awesome this week and I will keep on truckin!

With that said, how about a glimpse at today's "What's in the Bag?"

Breakfast - Low-fat Strawberry Greek Yogurt & Granola

Snack - Almonds

Lunch - Salad in a Jar (today's is ham!)

Snack - Apple & String Cheese

Dinner - Baked Blueberry Oatmeal (my daughter picked it out) and a fried egg

Snack - 2 Dove Promises & a glass of milk (of course)

Swimming last night was awesome, scary, intense and way outside my comfort zone. We worked on our rhythmic breathing, which is not my strong area. By the end of the class I hadn't drown and I could finally breathe on both sides (I'm a right side breather). It was crazy, but what a workout! Nothing tonight, it's a rest night. Friday, Saturday and Sunday hold lots in store though! BRING IT ON!!! It's crazy how much I like swimming. I never would have guessed it. But then, I thought the same about running and that quickly became a big part of my life. 

Quick story... I got busted last night by my swimming instructor. She said we were going to swim the length of the pool breathing on every FIFTH stroke. WHAT?!?! I normally breathe every other stroke. LOL As soon as she said it I shook my head like a child and said, "I can't do that!" She bent down so she was nose to nose with me and said, "I don't accept that. I refuse to hear the word can't here. TRY! That's all I ask. You'll be surprised at what your body can do when you step outside of your comfort zone." Guess what?? I did it!!! I thought I was going to die, but I did it!! So, I leave you with this. Got a class you've been eyeing up? Give it a whirl! Want to try your hand at running... go for it! Anyone can do it! TRY IT!! You never know....



Comments

Popular Posts