How Did I Forget This Pain?!?


So beyond true, except I don't have manly legs, or wear tiny shorts... but you see where I'm going with it. Seriously though, I firmly believe the pain of the first week of getting back into an intense workout routine must affect the same portion of our brain as childbirth does. They say, in time, you forget the pain of childbirth. Ok, that I can vouch for. I just always assumed it was because of the sweet little cherub that resulted from that pain. Now I know it's just time... time makes you forget.

As I get closer to 40, I believe I forget even faster! I know that I don't remember my legs being this sore last time I started lifting at the gym. If I had, I'm not sure I could have convinced myself to return on Monday! To add more misery, this week is Kicks Week in muay thai. HA! The workout gods must be doubled over in laughter watching me walk around today. My bedroom is in the basement... stairs are not my friend. I slid down them on my butt like I did when I was a kid. Then realized that doing that hurt my abs. I'm a hot mess!

But it's a good pain... right?! Yes and no. I know I worked it hard and my body is adjusting for the improvement that's coming. I'm proud of myself for getting back at it and my workouts felt amazing. On the other hand, this is forcing me to slow down and I don't like to slow down. Plus, who likes to walk around looking like the guy in my last post? Oh yeah, I'm still doing that... with a mix of also looking like I just got off of a horse that I've been riding for the past 48 hours straight. Sexy right??

So, I've done a bit of research on what to do to help alleviate this darn pain. Here are some suggestions I'm working on:
  • Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory)
  • Getting enough sleep (rest and let my body do it's natural healing)
  • Getting enough protein (to help build new muscle)
  • Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!
  • Rekindle my relationship with my foam roller
  • Remembering to drink a post-workout shake, or something similar and my BCAAs (amino acids)
  • Keep moving (but it hurts to move!!!)
I've been working on a few of these already, but I need to be a bit more vigilant or I'm going to be miserable. I have been good in the past, but my brain isn't 100% in on this new schedule. I'll get there. I just need to plan ahead and make it happen.

Pain is just part of the process and I need to stop being such a ninny! I know that next week will be much better and recovery will be much faster. The end story is that I am back at it and it feels great! This too shall pass right?

In a bit we'll eat dinner, change our clothes and head off to the dojo for mine and The Hubby's karate class (as long as the little people finish their homework in time). If homework is an issue, then this mama will be doing an at home workout while said little people keep plugging away at their homework at the kitchen table. We will see! After whichever workout I end up completing tonight, I will toss back a yummy protein shake, guzzle my BCAA's, and bust out my friend Fred The Foam Roller. See? I've got a plan!

I could make 101 excuses right now for sitting my butt on the couch and not moving the rest of the night, but I won't! I made myself  a promise this week and I'm going to stick to it. Rest day is coming, I just have to get there.


Comments

Popular Posts