Baaaaad Attitude!

That's right! I have a horribly bad attitude right now.

Let me back the truck up just a bit to give a touch of backstory.

Last week I was trying to kick my half marathon training up a notch. I haven't been getting all of my runs in every week and knew I needed to really focus on that. Wednesday I did exactly what I said I would... I ran to karate, did class and then ran home. The kicker is that I put on a little extra mileage because the straight route to karate is under construction. Oh, and it was kicks week after being gone for two months. I was sooooo tired!


I was super proud of myself for doing it! I had side pain almost the entire run and class and I stuck it out. I got my badge for four straight weeks of running at least once a week and 15 miles in July. I need more miles, but that was 15 miles I couldn't do six months ago! Plus, my pace was beyond steady. That's completely new for me, since I used to be all over the place.

It also felt amazing to be back at karate! I missed everyone and I missed the workout.

I went to karate again on Thursday because we are pushing hard to get enough classes and training to test for our belts the first week of September. It's going to be tough, but worth it! Then Friday I headed out for a short run before heading home to spend the night playing cards with The Hubby and one set of awesome in-laws.

Sunday is where everything took a turn. The Hubby and I got up and headed out early for a run because we had a big day of fun planned with the girls and my parents. The Hubby decided to bring our chocolate lab and run with him.


Since I'm slower than them, I started out as soon as we got to the trail. My body was still tired. My legs felt heavy, but I was keeping a good pace for a short run. On the way back I felt something like a bubble behind my knee. It was uncomfortable, so I slowed down for a bit. When I picked it back up I felt a big pop and had some pretty good pain. Being the stubborn mule that I am, I pushed through it and kept running. Also, since my app seems to think my fastest 5K was during that 5 mile run, I decided to show it that I could get a better time and pushed myself a little farther than originally planned.


I still have a slow 5K time, but it's improving. I love getting badges on that app. It's motivating! Anyway, my knee hurt, but that's nothing new so we went about our day.

We picked up the girls from their dad's house and met my parents at the campground down by the cabin that shuttles people for tubing on the river. The girls were so excited! My parents took us kids tubing down the river all the time when I was little. I was excited too! I finally got to pass the summer tradition on to my kids! KenzieBug and Jack Jack were with their mom, so it was just us four, plus Nana and Papa, for this trip, but we had fun! Emmy Lou had requested the trip for her birthday party but since we had a bunch of rearranging done to our calendars this month, we had to do it this way. She said she still loved it!

By Sunday evening we were exhausted and my knee was swollen, stiff and I was in pain. By Monday morning it was the size of a grapefruit and hurt like a son of a gun! Same goes for Tuesday. By Wednesday I went in to see the ortho nurse practitioner. Thankfully she doesn't think anything is torn. No MRI right now. X-ray looked good. So I got a new, wonderful brace (note my sarcasm) and was told to rest it and let pain be my guide. I asked if I could do any damage to it by going back to running and karate and she said no, just listen to my body. Got it! Karate here I come!!

I don't do injuries well. Especially ones that really can't be fixed. Unfortunately, I felt the need to feed my pain and sorrows this week, so I haven't been doing well with food or drinks. I'll get there. This weekend is Emmy Lou's birthday and all the fun that comes with turning 9. Since I'm not doing the triathlon (I'll explain that in another post), I'll be focusing on the half marathon and fueling for that after this weekend. Needless to say my eating habits will need to change drastically again. *sigh*

It's never ending, but I refuse to give up! Time for a change in lifestyle and a massive change in attitude... AGAIN!

Comments

Popular Posts