Spaghetti Squash... Who Knew?!?

So, I told you all yesterday that I was going to step outside of my comfort zone and try a spaghetti squash recipe that I found online. First, I had never had spaghetti squash before. To be completely honest, I didn't even know what one actually looked like and had to ask my mom! Yes, I'm almost 36 years old and had to ask my mommy to describe a veggie to me. For those who are like me and are just too shy to say it... Here's what a spaghetti squash looks like!


I've really never explored the squash group as far as vegetables go. I liked my russet potatoes and stuck with my russet potatoes! Oh wait! I like sweet potatoes... well, sweet potato FRIES. Does that count? Anyway... On to my Dreamy "Mac & Cheese" Spaghetti Squash.

First I had to Google "how to cook a spaghetti squash" and pick the simplest option. Actually, it really was simple. The hardest part was cutting it in half with my dull knife. After my injury with sharp utensils on Sunday, I'm still slightly gun shy. Anyway... you basically cut it in half, put each side in a 13x9 baking dish (so the flesh is left up) and add 1/2 cup of water. 30-35 minutes later at 350 degrees and you have yourself an edible spaghetti squash! So far so good. Then to make it all spaghetti-ish, you just scrape with a fork and it all peels up. There are a ton of "noodles" in that thing!

Once I succeeded in cooking my first spaghetti squash, I started on the recipe. Now, I did have to alter this recipe because they use flour and 1% milk in the original recipe. My substitute for both was heavy whipping cream. It thickens so nicely! So, 1/4-1/2c heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup of cheese, salt and pepper to taste (I need to season it a bit more next time), stir until it thickens, then throw in your 1 1/2 cups of spaghetti squash and stir until the squash is completely covered in sauce.


*EDITED TO ADD*
Sorry all! When I got home in the evening after posting this and saw the hubby trying to follow this recipe I realized I forgot the final step. Put the saucy "noodles" in a small casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. This allows that yummy, cheesy goodness to melt and bubble and soak into your squash.

Let me tell you, this is an ENORMOUS amount of food! I ended up eating about half, but oh WOW!! So rich, so yummy and it so did not taste like I should have been enjoying it without guilt!

Here you go, the finished product.


The hubby says it looks like a pile of mush. In person it really doesn't. It looks like angel hair pasta in a thick, cheesy sauce. So, don't go based just on it's looks here. Plus, I left out the onion and peas. I don't like extras in my mac n cheese, but I'm sure you could really have fun with it.

I have to give full credit to the blog that I found this recipe on. Feel free to try the original version (link below the picture). I just had to alter a bit to make it lower carb. Oh, and for those following, this is a THM S Meal with my alterations.

This dish was so good, that it's going to be part of tonight's dinner as well. I have a bunch of squash left over, so I figured I'd use it up the same way, but use it as a side to some grilled chicken tonight. We'll see what two of the kiddos think of it tonight... and the hubby. I'll give their reviews tomorrow.

The rest of today's meals are as follows:

Breakfast: Egg white, mozzarella cheese & turkey sausage muffins (baked in a muffin tin together) - E

Snack: 1% cottage cheese & blueberries - FP

Lunch: Turkey & Veggie Salad with Ranch & 2 No-Bake Cookies - S (I forgot my eggs & cheese which truly made it a full S)

Snack: Apple & String Cheese - E

And you already know dinner, but it's an S meal. For those wondering what I mean by S, E or FP meals, feel free to check out my post about the beginning of our journey with Trim Healthy Mama here.

We are both a few days into this change in our eating habit and I have to say that it's not overly daunting. I'm struggling a bit to come up with cold options for me because I don't have a microwave at work. Talk about a bummer! One can only eat so many salads and sandwiches for lunch. Plus, my snacks have to be simple and cold as well. As far as the food options, it's fun to try new recipes, but also nice to know we can fall back on old recipes - like burgers on the grill - if we are just brainfried after a long day or are in a rush. Plus, the leftovers work awesome for the hubby to reheat for lunch! Overall, we both agree that it's going well. The hubby says he'd really like a beer and a donut, but that it hasn't been horrible. I haven't had many cravings, but I know that as we get into the second and third week I'll be tempted to fall back on the simplicity of old habits. That's where the mental struggle will be real!

Comments

Popular Posts