Go Mom! Go!!!

Yesterday was one of those days that left me craving a cleansing run. So I started recruiting running buddies right away in the morning. I knew a good run would allow me to walk away with lighter feet and a clearer mind.

So, I picked up both girls. The report from the little one's daycare teacher was that she was crabby and getting herself into trouble. Yay! UGH! I was planning to take my kids to a public running track and I had already gotten the first red flag. Oh well... I was committed to this. Friends were meeting us at the track and I needed it. When Mommy is in a cranky mood and the 2 year old is also cranky, the 5 year old never fails to start playing 20 questions and pushing her little sister's buttons every chance she gets. I felt like I was going to lose it! I could feel things starting to pull tighter and tigher in my chest, ready to snap like rubberbands. Damn anxiety!

We finally got out of the house with only a few tears (I was close!!) and off we went. We arrived at our destination and the shrills of excitement that escaped my children when they got out of the car instantly released those bands in my chest. This would go well. Excitement at seeing their Nana and even more at seeing their friends sitting just across the track was almost too much. Not even a second glance back at mom and they were off to the races - pun intended!! And off went Mama!

I knew I would be pushing it to get my kids to play for longer than 30 minutes without inturrupting me, so that was the goal of the evening. Luckily enough the program I had in mind was exactly 30 minutes. You do 5 minutes walking pace/5 minutes fast running pace (as fast as you can go for the entire 5 minutes), 4/4, 3/3, 2/2, 1/1 and done! My fastest pace was under 8 minute miles at some points while I was running. There once was a time I was elated to look down at my phone and see that I was keeping a pace under 10 minutes. Now, to see it under 8 minutes is just motivating as all get out!!

The best part of running the track, besides the built-in babysitter (aka large fence and track around area where kids were playing), was having the kids sitting in the bleachers cheering us on each time we came across the finish line area. LOL Gotta love em!!


By the end of my run I felt I had gotten a great workout, kept a pretty good pace between the run/walk sets and my mind was much clearer. My kids had gotten a good dose of fresh air and friends, so they were in good moods and our evening finished off fight- and whine-free! AMAZING!!! All-in-all a successful run! It's amazing what just 30 minutes can do with hours of stress and frustration.

Comments

Popular Posts