See the sun peaking through those dark clouds?!?

I love when that happens. I'm not talking about the actual weather - which has been quite runner friendly the past few days - but about something negative that actually becomes something positive.

I was so mad at myself today. I finally got out for my long run and instantly felt pain. I knew I was in for a long run, but I was determined to stick to my program. This weekend called for a 1 hour and 15 minute run. Unfortunately, my body called for a break. :( About 2 1/2 miles into it I couldn't think about much else besides the pain and the "what if's" pain during a run brings. I should have known better. My back had been bothering me since Tuesday and I should have gotten in to the chiropractor, but I thought I could tough it out. Yeah, that came back to bite me in the butt! Literally... the low back pain radiates down my butt and into my legs when I run. So. Much. Fun! LOL :)

Anyway... I called it quits at the 3 mile mark and was frustrated and down. I usually run in the evenings because my back loosens up throughout the day and then doesn't cause me much in the way of issues if it's acting up. Hence the what if's I was talking about. The race is in the morning... what if it's acting up? What if I have this problem on race day? What if... What if... What if?!?! Yeah, stupid game to play huh?? So, I need to take precautionary action. Improve on my core strength, keep up my chiropractor appts, work on my back stretches, and listen to my body. Oh yeah, and I think I'm going all out and getting and adjustment AND massage the day before the race. LOL

But, I was talking about those dark clouds opening up a bit... Well, I did learn a couple of lessons from today's run which is part of it. But I was also in such a funk that I couldn't leave well enough alone. I decided to start a 30 day challenge for myself (and found a few friends to join along!) I turn 33 in 31 days... so, why not push it for the next 30 days and see how much progress I can make. I will say the 2nd workout of the day cured my funk. :)

Not only that, but entering my workouts into my Active.com workout tracker I found out something that really lifted my spirits! I didn't throw my program off too far. Next Saturday was a break week and a suggested 5K run. Well, I'm running that on Tuesday, so I just swapped weekends. This weekend was my break weekend and next weekend is my long run weekend. All fixed! WOOHOO!!!!! Nothing hurt, I'm still on track and the neurotic OCD person in me is happy as a clam. :)

So... now to figure out what to do with the next hour of quietness in the house before I have to leave for hockey. Ummm... yeah, workout number 3 for today. HEE HEE! :) I'm a glutton for punishment.

Comments

Popular Posts