Top Shelf Baby!

First, that title makes me giggle. My brother gave me a birthday card one year while I was still in high school. I played hockey and really thought he didn't care. The truth of it is, I played hockey because HE played hockey. Yeah, I can admit it now... I idolized him. But seriously, he knew I played hockey, but I didn't figure he'd ever actually watched or listened when I talked about my games or practices. Then he gave me "the card" and I saved that card for years. I believe it is still in a box in storage somewhere. I don't remember what the actual card even said, but I do remember what was written in my brother's handwriting that made me giggle and want to cry at the same time,

"Just remember... 
Always put the puck where Grandma hides the cookies...
TOP SHELF!"

Awww! He really did care! We fought like cats and dogs every single day, until one day it just hit a boiling point, boiled over and then it was done. We never fought again (I think he was 18 or 19 by this time). This card has stuck with me since the day he gave it to me, which is about 20 years ago now!

It's funny, but things like a simple word, statement, smell, song, or whatever can bring back a memory. Now, you're probably wondering where I'm going with this. Bear with me, it all leads to a happy place! 

Last week I was digging around in my closet and pulling out summer clothes to see what fits and what doesn't. I had a pile of too-small jeans up there next to the shorts and everything came raining down on me when I gave the shorts a solid yank. Keep in mind that I am a bit of a gimp and my left arm does not have the full reaction time and extension abilities it used to. While I set about cleaning up my mess, mumbling as I did it, I started making piles on my bed. I figured what the heck, I'll check if any of these jeans might fit while I'm trying on the summer clothes. I already have my pants off.

Well, the top shelf isn't just a place where you should put the puck or hide the cookies. It's also a place where you may find a smile and a feel good moment as you realize that a pair of jeans you haven't worn in far too long now fit perfectly! And for a double bonus, I'm wearing them today and someone at work asked me if I got new jeans. I told her no, they were just up on my shelf waiting for me to find some willpower.

See?!? I told you it would all connect! With all of that said, both shelf situations brought a smile and that warm fuzzy feeling. To top it all off... today was weigh in day and I was surprised by a two pound loss and I've hit the 15 pound mark for this year. YAHOO!! Every little bit counts. I'm okay with slow and steady. I know it will be a long road, but I've got time. In the mean time... I'll keep checking back with that top shelf to see what other goodies may make my day along the way.

Oooh and we tried another crowd pleaser recipe the other day. We have a couple of very picky eaters in our house and they both gobbled it right up! The hubby also made it at work one night at the station he was working at and the captain asked him for the recipe she liked it so much! We've thought of way to tweak this a little and make it a bit more "calorie friendly" with ideas of swapping out some heavy cream for greek yogurt, regular flour for almond flower and pasta for quinoa. The sauce would also be absolutely amazing on shrimp. Anyway, here ya go... ENJOY!!

Crispy Lemon Chicken Pasta

Comments

Popular Posts