Hurts So Good!

You all know what I mean. That good pain. When you're getting a massage and they hit a knot and you know that it hurts now, but later it will make your whole body feel so much better. Or that aching muscle feeling after a hard circuit at the gym. For me, tonight, it's the pain left over from the success of a good bike and run.

My quads are angry, my calves are screaming and my low back and moaning it's disapproval to today's adventure, but my mind is still applauding and if I didn't hurt so bad, I'd probably still be doing the Snoopy Dance over my achievement. Tonight, I proved to myself that I can finish each of the three events in their entirety, albeit individually. LOL But I also finally realized that I CAN do this!

I headed out for a simple bike ride after finding out that my YMCA is now closed on Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday. Not exactly convenient for an average person's work schedule, but oh well. I decided not to let it get me down, grabbed my helmet and headed out the door. At mile three I decided to go a bit farther than planned and had the bright idea to try my hand at the full 16 miles. It took some creativity and gave me a nice tour of the southern half of Superior, but I did it!! I even hit one of my favorite running trails to add an extra three miles to my journey so I could hit that golden number.

And after I hit that golden number, what did I do?? Well, I decided to go for a run... just to see if I could! LOL It's amazing how much you think about and let go of as the miles pass by. By the time I got out for my run, my frustrations were gone, plans were set, and I was running on empty - both my usually too full mind and my body. I was exhausted, but I knew that in a race situation, I would be able to dig deep and pull out less than two miles to put in the full 5K. As I sat down on the steps of my garage to cool off a bit it hit me... I can do this race. I have what it takes to finish and I will do just that!!

I'm actually excited about it now. Before now, it was intimidating and extremely daunting. Tonight, I'm looking forward to it. Amazing what a good brick can do for a person isn't it?!?

On a slightly different note... after almost 6 months of being laid off I finally got a full-time job!! Now I get to try to figure out how to juggle it all. No worries... just another challenge that I welcome. And I have awesome support from family and friends and I couldn't do this without all of them.

Comments

Popular Posts