Six Month Mark!

Well, I've been at this for six months and still going strong. I actually don't even really think about it anymore. Sure, there's the "Where should we go for dinner? Well, do you want to be naughty or behave yourself" type questions that arise on the weekends. But for the most part it's automatic to shop, cook and eat mostly healthy. I guess I've formed a habit! LOL

So, since we're half way through the year I wanted to do a little flashback to the beginning of the year and see how I've been doing as far as my goals that I set for myself. For those who may have missed it, here's my first post of 2012.

To save everyone from having to refer back to my original post, here are the goals I decided to set for myself:

1. Make time for me. In order to be a better mom to my girls, I need to be happy with myself and have a healthy mind.

2. Be realistic with myself. Don't set goals too hard to accomplish and set expectations that are unhealthy because it just leads to self-defeat and a loss of self-esteem. This year is about building myself UP, not tearing myself down.

3. Set good examples for my girls. I don't just mean with my food choices either. If I expect my girls to grow up into adults who are respected, treat others kindly and show compassion to others I have to start showing that to them now while they are willing to learn and practice what they see.


I think I'm still on task! I definitely set aside time for me. One way that I have really helped make sure that happens is by setting a pretty rigid sleep schedule for my girls. Unless it's a very special situation, my girls are in bed between 7 & 7:30 and 90% of the time are out cold before 8pm. That way I have time to unwind, pick up the house and just have quiet mommy time at the end of the day. It makes a huge difference! I need that quiet time to do what I want to do uninturrupted. I can choose to run on the treadmill, throw in a workout dvd, or just veg out on the couch. I spot clean the house every night right after I put them down because I know I am someone who needs things to be picked up to feel relaxed. By doing it each night it takes me a few minutes and the rest of the time is all mine! It is a pretty slick schedule. I know it'll change as my girls get older, but I'm loving it right now! :) I also make sure I carve out time to run, bike or even get out with friends. Moms deserve to have a life too. We work hard, parent 24/7... but we were women long before we were mommies. I need to let that woman out once in a while! :)

I think I've been relatively realistic. I find myself obsessing over the scale much more than I was earlier in this journey. But I mainly blame the fact of hitting or nearing major milestones. I don't want to miss them. But I haven't set any goals I haven't achieved and I'm not about to start now. :) I'm just 5 pounds from my 33 by 33 goal with 10 weeks to go. I am hoping my new running schedule will help push that scale down a bit faster than it's been moving lately. LOL And my other goal is the Whistlestop Half Marathon in October which I know I will complete. I have no doubt!! So, I'm crushing goals and setting them a tiny bit higher each time! :)

I also believe that my life changes these past six months have truly set good examples for my girls. Everyone in the house is eating healthier, we get out for family activities, Emilee is even expressing interest in trying new things and told me the other day that she wants to try learning to skate again - proud Mama moment!!! :) I love my girls to death. I will do everything I can to keep them from repeating the childhood issues I had with food and weight. Kids can be mean and I think they are about 100x meaner now than they were 25 years ago. Mama Bear wants to protect her cubs!

So, overall, I think I'm right on track with my goals and I have every intention to keep on trucking. I'm proud of my accomplishments, but have expectations for myself that still lie ahead. Six months ago I knew my life was changing in a very dramatic way. Today, I am stronger, healthier, happier and looking forward to the next six!

Comments

Popular Posts