I've got the bug...

But this one's a good bug. I've officially caught the running bug and I think my best friend has too! LOL Friday night's race was AWESOME!!! We were pumped up for it all day and it did not disappoint. Again, I was reminded of how much I love that race. One of my ear buds stopped working before the race even started, but it was perfect! I could hear the rushing water (evidence that our poor area has had much too much rain lately), the pounding feet and unfortunately the jingling women who wore belly dancing belts to the race. ACK!! That was a bit annoying. But it made me move faster. The sound was so annoying that everytime I could hear it I would push myself harder to get away from it. :)

The race couldn't have been any better. I felt great, was able to set a good pace and kept the ol' hiney movin! As a result I beat my previous best time by almost a minute and a half!!! (My official time was 34:33) I love the Midnight Sun Midnight Run website... not only do they post your time, but they tell you how many people you passed and how many people passed you. The start of this race is a bit insane... 600 runners on a skinny, muddy, gravel path for the first 1/3 of a mile. Needless to say, it's a slow start! It opens up quite a bit once we hit the main trail and all of the fast runners have taken off. But the website says that I passed 81 runners and was only passed by 24!! WOOHOO!!! Talk about making you feel good about yourself. LOL

I'd have to say that the best part of this race is running it with friends. We went out for a primer (drink) before the race, cheered everyone on at the finish line, and then wrapped up the evening with celebratory drinks. I wasn't the only one to hit my improvement goal in that race. :) And when all was said and done we were discussing what our next race should be! I think that's when we realized the bug had officially bit us hard!

On top of planning out what 5K runs to do in the near future, I'm planning 1 or 2 mud runs (August & September), and officially committed to training for and running a half marathon in October. I'd like to say I was drunk when I made that commitment, but I wasn't. LOL Part of me is really excited to take this on while the other part of me is freaking out! I know the friend I am training with will be an awesome inspiration and necessary butt kicker at times. :) So... bring it on!!! If nothing else, all this running should make that scale creep down a bit farther toward more goals!! And speaking of goals, I think my next 5K goal is to shave another 34 seconds off that time and creep into the 33 minute mark. :) :)

Comments

Popular Posts