It's RACE DAY!!!!

I am beyond pumped!! Today is the day of my favorite race of the season. Technically, it's tomorrow... It's a midnight run!!! The Midnight Sun Midnight Run on the Lakewalk along Lake Superior. I know some of my readers aren't from the area, but we had some major flooding this week. Mother Nature can be one angry b*#%$ when she wants to be! I've lived here almost my entire life and never seen anything like what I've seen this week. I don't know what the full damage costs in our city, but the next city over has estimated damages to be over $100 million in just the city limits. It's sad how many people lost things that can never be replaced, not to mention the favorite tourist places that were so badly damaged that there's no telling how much time it will take to bring them back to their previous status. There were questions as to whether this race would still be on with all the damage, but we've been assured that with some slight route changes, all activities will move forward as planned. It's nice to have something fun to look foward to after all the devestation.

So, why do I like this run so much?
  • Well, it's at midnight!!!! LOL I'm such a night owl. I'm at my peppiest around 9 or 10pm. Midnight is my ideal time for a run. :)
  • It's a gorgeous location! Running along the shore of Lake Superior... I will turn down my iPod about 1/4 of the way into the run and just listen to the water hitting the shoreline, listen to the pounding of feet on the pavement and just enjoy my surroundings.
  • It's in the dark! I don't know why that appeals to me so much, but it does. Once the runners space out, it's almost like you are just enjoying a run on a nice, cool night.
  • I get to run with awesome friends! In previous years I've run this with my mom and a couple of her friends. This year I've recruited some of my own friends. Since it's a down and back race, I like to watch for friends on the other side of the path and cheer them on. This year I'll have a couple with me as we plan to finish this together and with our best time of the season!! Gotta have goals right???
  • Finally... it's chipped!! My first chipped time of the year. For those unfamiliar with running, most races are timed by a clock. The problem is, all runners start at the same time. With  600 runners, if you're at the middle of the pack it make take a minute to even hit the start line and get going. Plus, we're all bunched together, so getting your pace up is a bit hard to do at first. A chip means that your time doesn't start until you cross that start line, so if you're stuck in the middle or the back of the group, the clock doesn't start until it's your turn to cross the line and really start going. It's the most accurate time measurement. For smaller races, these chips are expensive and hard to come by. Since most races are fundraisers keep their prices around $15-25 and give you a free t-shirt, it eats into their profits so they don't bother. This race had the chips donated!
Well, if you can't tell, I'm excited! We have an evening of entertainment planned to keep everyone awake and lively starting with a yummy grilled chicken and sweet potato dinner. Oh, and some playlist creating so we have good tunes for the trail. :)

On the other side of things... I was sooooo close to that 30 pound goal. GRRR!! Last week I got down to 201.8. ONEderland was so close I could taste it! But, alas, it wasn't meant to be just yet. My body put on the breaks and has kept me in the 202-203 range for the last 10 days. I am to blame... I haven't been tracking my food at all and was way under eating (who'd have ever thunk it! LOL). So I have big plans for the week ahead. I WILL see 199 on that damn scale!

And one more thing... Hopefully I will be complaining a bit less about emotional eating. The past 14 months have been a rollercoaster ride of emotions, but the last 6 months have been the hardest. I haven't shared much with anyone, but I moved out of my house in January and filed for divorce in February. As of this week my divorce is final and I'm ready to move on with the next chapter of my life. Like I said, it's been a rollercoaster ride, but I'm happy, have two beautiful, healthy girls and a full life ahead of me. So, with that said... things are looking up. Plans are being made. And goals are being achieved.

Oh yeah... goals!! A friend of mine asked me to train with her for the Whistlestop Half Marathon in Ashland, WI in October. I know I can currently run 6 miles. So, the question is... can I train enough to run 13.1 in less than 4 months. Hmmm... I say HELL YEAH!!!! So, I believe one of my goals is now going to be a half marathon!!

Comments

Popular Posts