Successful Week!

So, I completed week 1 of "slow carbing" or in other words, "no sugar, no white carbs, no extra dairy." My sister started this program three weeks ago and I decided to read the book she had gotten her plan from, "4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman." Eye catching isn't it?!? Her first week she lost 11 pounds, so I had to read more about what she was gushing about.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I didn't want to do another fad diet, but I've known for 11 years that in order to help control my PCOS I need to cut back on my carbs - way back - and fads have been my only options. Docs have repeated it to me over and over, I've read it 1,000s of times on the internet, but I've never had the willpower to do commit to Atkins or South Beach. This book helped change my thoughts on low carbing.

At first I sat down and read this book if for no other reason than because it sucked me in with the title and the laid back style of his writing. He made all the science crap sound so human. He does get into a lot of scientific information, but since he was his own guinea pig it's pretty entertaining to hear straight from the mouse's mouth.

Once I'd read the first half of the book I decided to give it a shot. I asked my sister if she'd be my partner in crime and help me stay honest with myself. So, last Monday I jumped on board. Protein, veggies, and BEANS were on the menu for the week. Why beans? This is the carb/fiber ingredient that helps balance things out. Too much protein and you get incredibly "blocked" and too much ruffage and you get, well, you know what you get. You also can't survive without carbs. They are needed. But fake carbs aren't needed. So, since beans are a very clean food (unprocessed) you can have them 3-4x a day and should to help balance out your meals.

Problem is... I HATE BEANS!! LOL I'm a texture freak and the texture of beans freaks me out! So, this was stepping wayyyy outside my box. The rest of it... no problem. Give up my breads and pastas? Fine. Give up my daily dose of chocolate and my favorite coffee from Starbucks? Whatever. Eat "beans beans the musical fruit" multiple times a day? Hold the phone!!!

So, I've been experimenting. Lima beans are okay. White kidney beans are NOT. *gag* Refried beans are my go-to bean. This week I will be attempting to eat black beans and pinto beans. LOL And I will admit, I only manage to get my beans 1-2x a day. But it's working. I lost 8 pounds and 4" my first week. Granted, those 8 pounds were mostly water weight. But a loss is a loss, so I'll take it!

I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes and calling me a sucker. But honestly... my journal isn't as abnormal as you would think. Here's a typical day:

Breakfast:
2 eggs & 2 egg whites
Turkey Sausage

Lunch #1:
Chicken Sausage
Cottage Cheese
Bean of choice

Lunch #2:
Spinach Salad w/Grilled Chicken Breast
Oil & Vinegar Dressing

Dinner:
Venison Chops or another meat of choice
Green Beans (or some veggie, but green beans do not fall on the "Big Bad Bean List")
Bean of choice
Cottage Cheese

As you can see, I'm still getting my dairy, protein, carbs and veggies every day. Fruit is the one thing that I don't have on the list and he explains that in the book.

The one thing I've left out is that I only have to be this strict 6 out of 7 days a week. I have one off day to reset my system. Those are free days. I can have all of the things I don't allow myself to have during the week. Therefore, I'm not deprived and even better is that with the studies done, this actually does great things for resetting your metabolism and helping you lose at a steady pace.

We shall see! Like I said, week 1 was a success. I had horrible cravings Thursday & Friday, but stuck it out and enjoyed Saturday without being a horrible pig and gaining 10 pounds. LOL I was able to enjoy cake at the birthday party we went to and we had pasta for dinner. I love that I can still have those things, but this actually forces me to moderate how often. Before I would allow myself a white carb with every meal and for PCOS reasons, that's not going to cut it.

I am keeping track of my energy and other PCOS symptoms to see if I really do get good effects from less carbs. I promised myself I would give it a minimum of 4 weeks, so don't go too far!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts