Early Steps to Weight Loss Surgery

Early Steps to Weight Loss Surgery with an apple and measuring tape

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I am starting a new journey to better health. So, I have been scouring the internet since my first appointment on August 1st, and found that there are not a lot of blogs that really share the nitty gritty about experiences with bariatric surgery. I mean, yes, I am in some groups on Facebook. And I can find some helpful pins on Pinterest, but I'm talking the step by step process and update.

So, since I use this blog as a journal, I figured I'd make it a little more "official". Welcome to the early steps of my weight loss surgery!

 

glowing image is just the words 'The Early Years'[

 A tiny bit of background...

I am a 43 year old cis female. I have struggled with my weight all of my life, but especially after I stopped playing college hockey in 1999. In 2001 I managed to lose about 50 pounds with Weight Watchers, but as soon as I wasn't attending meetings and things got a little crazy in my life, I started gaining like it was my primary job. Add in PCOS, infertility, so many pokes, prods and treatments, and by 2010 I was blessed with two beautiful children and a body that tipped the scales at 234.6 pounds.

In 2012 I separated from my children's father and filed for divorce. To deal with the stress of divorce and raising two toddlers, I began running. I was shocked I enjoyed it as much as I did. I ran countless 5Ks, 10Ks, 5-milers, 9-milers, and two half marathons before my body decided pain was a better source of entertainment. In that time though, I managed to lose about 50 pounds again and keep it off for a few years.

After several months going back and forth to Mayo Clinic, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2018 and running was out of the question. Eventually COVID hit and, well, I gained the "COVID 20". Then I had a hysterectomy and gained another 30, and my body has continued to grow over the past year. My top weight recorded by my doc's office this time around is 242.

 

image with faded background and quote says Strength doesn't come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't.

image is the words Let the Games Begin
 
I had my surgical consult today! What does that mean? Let me share the steps I have to take again:

First, let me say, I am extremely floored that I wrote my first post about this surgery two months ago already! Where have the past two months gone??

SURGERY TIMELINE

Again, this is not a fast-moving process. The nurse told me to expect it to take 9-12 months when we met August 31st for my initial appointment. Today, the surgeon told me my insurance requires 6 months minimum.

  1. Meet with RN for intake appointment - CHECK
  2. Meet with Nutritionist for intake appointment - CHECK
  3. Meet with Psychologist - Appointment set for January 13, 2023
  4. Meet with Surgeon - CHECK
  5. One month appointment with Nutritionist - CHECK
  6. Two Month appointment with Nutritionist - this week
  7. Three Month appointment with Nutritionist (December)
  8. Four Month appointment with Nutritionist (January)
  9. Five Month appointment with Nutritionist (February)
  10. Six Month appointment with Nutritionist (March) - Maybe???
  11. Schedule Surgery Date
  12. Pre-Op Appointment with GP
  13. SURGERY!!!!
Setting it up like that reminds me of all of the appointments I had to have when I was pregnant. Honestly, the wait feels as long since I had to wait two months for the initial appointment! HA!
 

Glowing image of the words Month 2 update
Today I met with the surgeon, and she is so nice. She assured me that gaining a pound and a half is not grounds for removing me from the program (the Nutritionist scared me last appointment because I was up about a pound). They just don't want to see a 10 pound gain. That's understandable.

But I'll tell you what... today made it so much more real. When I started everything they told me 9-12 months. Surgeon said it is looking closer to 6 for me. WHAT?!? Please don't lie to me!! Patience are not my strong suit, so I'm going to hold onto hope that there are no hiccups.

So, my next Nutritionist appointment is later this week and then the Psych Eval is January 13th. After the psych eval the team will meet, submit my stuff to insurance, schedule my pre-op, and I'm off to the races! Procedure will not be before 3/3/23 though, since that's the 6 month mark by days. It would be 3/1 if they go by dates. Honestly, I'm supposed to take my kids on a trip over spring break, so I may push it to the 3rd week in March even if they offer it earlier.

Meanwhile, I'm headed to Texas next week for 5 days to visit my best friend. I'll come home and it'll be Thanksgiving before we know it. Family vacation the 2nd week of December. Then end of semester crap at work (I'm an academic advisor at a college) and POOF - Christmas Break. Come back from break and kill time for a couple of weeks before my psych eval. I've got this!! I am soooo not a patient person! But I've got this.
 
Next appointment is in three days!!

Comments

Popular Posts