I'm still alive! Happy Belated Thanksgiving!!

WOW have I slacked off here. Sorry! So much to get caught up on...

First, the Facebook group was a huge success. Lots of encouragement, shared recipes and a great group of ladies. We all survived through Thanksgiving and decided to prolong the challenge into December to keep us accountable through all the Christmas goodies that are sure to tempt us. I already decided my cookie baking will be kept to a minimum. I'll carry on the tradition of making some with my mom and my girls, but I won't go all out. I don't need all those yummy temptations in my house! LOL And I am happy to report that the scale finally went down again with the help of this wonderful group and I lost 8 1/2 pounds between Halloween and Thanksgiving. WOOHOO!!! Hoping December is just as successful! I'm desperate to reach that 50 pound mark by the one year point of my journey. :)

I ran my final 5K of the year a couple of weeks ago. What a blast!! The weather didn't really want to cooperate. Actually, we ran in 32 degree weather with rain and 15mph winds off of wonderful Lake Superior. LOL But it was still fun! No records broken for me, I ran it in 32:24, but I enjoyed seeing some cute little cheerleaders along the route and was very proud to run back and catch my mom after I finished and run with her to her to her personal record! Very awesome moment for both of us! Add in good food with good friends, a women's expo, a much needed road trip just my mom and I and a stop at a cute little bar for a post race celebratory drink and it really was the perfect way to finish my 2012 racing season!

I know I haven't shared much at all here, or really in person, but stress has become a major factor the past couple of months. I go back and forth from emotional eating to having absolutely no appetite because my stomach is tied in knots. I found out in early October that I would be losing my job at the end of the year. As of December 31st I'll be unemployed for the first time in my life. It's been an emotional rollercoaster. I've been very thankful to have people listen to me rant about my fears and concerns revolving around this news. I have never not had a job. Since I was 14 and doing odd jobs in the offices my mom worked in, I have had at least one, sometimes up to three jobs, at all times. I'm scared! I'm on my own and made that choice a year ago, but didn't foresee what would lie ahead in this particular chapter of my life. I have two little girls who depend on me to provide for them and I will do whatever I have to to make sure I do that for them. I worry that the emotional toll on me is effecting them. Stress doesn't do good things to parenting skills. I have a short fuse and my oldest knows how to push the perfect buttons. LOL Typical kid! But I know we'll get through this.

The other night we were on our way home from gymnastics, just Em and I, and she was talking about all of the things she wanted for Christmas. It was breaking my heart. I knew this Christmas would be lighter than previous Christmases. I waited 7 years for my own children to spoil during the holidays and I have done just that for the past 4! LOL I finally decided it was time we have a little chat. I told her that Mommy's work had run out of stuff for her to do, so pretty soon I wouldn't have to go in to work anymore and I'd be home with Abby every day. I could hear her worried little voice from the backseat as she asked, "But Mom, what will you do? You HAVE to go to work. Your work gives you money to get stuff for me and Abby." I wanted to cry right then and there. At just 5 years old, she seemed to understand the effects this was going to have on our little family. We were home by then, so I opened her door and pulled her out and hugged her. I looked right at her and said, "Em, have I ever let anything happen to you?" "No." "We will be fine. This just means I'll be home a lot more, have more time to spend with you and Abby and that we'll just have to focus on not spending money on things we don't need." Then the true five year old in her shined through... "So, we won't be able to buy extra toys when we go shopping?" LOL I told her that it'll be right after Christmas. She'll have enough new toys... she won't need any extras for a while.

It's going to be a huge adjustment and I'm trying to prepare myself for what's to come, but I hate the unknown. Those who know me well know I'm a bit of a control freak. I don't set out to control people, just situations around me. I'm a major planner. It's hard to plan for the unknown. But... that which does not kill us makes us stronger right??

Comments

Popular Posts