Frou Frou Coffee Drinkers Search No More!

Are you one of those people who thinks people who drink straight black coffee are absolutely insane? Does you coffee come from a coffee shop, or take a chemistry degree, maybe a half a cup of sugar, and in the end the color doesn't even slightly resemble the original color of coffee? If that's you, we are frou frou coffee sisters! I'm not super particular. I like caramel, butterscotch, mint.. I like mochas, cappuccinos, macchiatos, and just about anything else as long as it has a shot of something sweet and a shot of extra go-juice.

When I gave up sugar in 2015, I was heartbroken over having to give up my yummy morning mojo. I'm not an regular "Every Morning Mojo" kind of girl, but I relied on a good cup of joe on the mornings when I just couldn't wake up. With sugar being off the table, most pre-made options weren't even close to ok. I tried some recipes that I found on Pinterest, but truly struggled to find something that either wasn't extremely high in calories, or didn't send my stomach into fits (for some reason my body hate high doses of straight heavy cream). I basically just gave up hope. I'm not a fan of Bullet Proof coffee. I need sweet, I need creamy, and using a protein shake for my creamer just wasn't creamy enough for me. So, I gave up my coffee while I was sugar free for that year back then.

Fast forward to now. I finally made the commitment again. I know it's what my body needs, as much as I hate to have to give up all the yummy junk I crave and love to eat. I also know I feel so much better when I am eating sugar free and low carb, so I finally did it and we - my oldest daughter and I - are two days and and feeling pretty darn good about ourselves so far!

The best news is that I successfully concocted a low-carb coffee creamer for frou frou coffee drinkers like myself and I'm going to share it with all of you!



Low-Carb Coffee Creamer for Frou Frou Coffee Drinkers

Total Servings in Recipe: 5
Individual Serving Size: 1/2 cup container

Ingredients:
10 TBSP Heavy Whipping Cream
1 can unsweetened coconut milk strained (I used Thai brand)
5/8 tsp Watkins extract of your choice
8 TBSP Eryithritol, or sweetener of choice

I'm telling you, this is the easiest recipe to make!! Set out five 1/2 cup containers. Add 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream to each container. Fill each container up the rest of the way with strained unsweetened coconut milk. Add 1/8 teaspoon extract to each container for flavor - I used caramel, but you could use just about any flavor extract for this. 

I wait to add my sweetener until just before I add it to my coffee or it settles at the bottom of the container. For this recipe I used erythritol, although I have used xylitol in past recipes, and some like the taste of stevia or truvia. It's truly up to personal preference here, just be sure to adjust the numbers accordingly.

Once you've made your hot coffee, go ahead and add the entire 1/2 cup of creamer, stir and enjoy! **One quick disclaimer... the creamer does tend to "cream" as you shake it up in the containers, so the lid will have a whip cream-type texture on it. This isn't a sign that the creamer is going bad, just that it's thickening with the sweetener in there and shaking it up. But do make sure you use it up quickly and keep it refrigerated. Everything I looked up says both heavy cream and coconut milk last 7-10 days after opening. I'm always extra cautious with dairy items moved into other containers, so I'll use these up within the week, which is how I planned it - five containers for five days!


Now, being that it is my first week of going sugar free and following the Keto diet after far too long of eating whatever I like, I have been adding MCT oil to my coffee in the morning to help push my body into ketosis, so I have to add in the 130 calories and 14 grams of fat for that, but it is totally worth it... I hope! Time will tell!

So, there you have it. I hope others enjoy it as much as I have been! I'm just excited to have found a creamer option that doesn't upset my stomach, or my wallet! The ingredients together cost me about five dollars for the work week and I still had supplies leftover.

Comments

Popular Posts