My, how quickly things change!

Two months ago it felt like the ground was falling out from underneath us... Now??? Almost two months to the day after losing my old job I started my new job with Douglas County Health and Human Services. I'm so excited about it!! Also, exactly two months after his accident, Andy had another interview with that same fire department for another chance to get a job with a department in the area. Plus, we're still on the look out for that "perfect house" and I know it's out there. His leg is healing beautifully! That 12 week recovery period is coming to a close and he's right on track. So, it truly is crazy how quickly life can turn right back around. Lots of changes for our big, little family. LOL

I'm still on track activity and food-wise. I've started SLOWLY training for a sprint triathlon again. We'll see how it goes. I don't have any huge expectations for myself just yet because I'm still struggling with that side pain with no answers as to what's causing it. Biking & swimming are two things that don't seem to drive it crazy. I can push myself in those areas and not end up in extreme pain, so I have hope. Running, on the other hand, is still a major trigger for that pain and I can't even get through a mile without pain. I'll get there!!

With all of that said, I want to touch on a subject that's really been on my mind lately. I will say that one major reason I am trying to get and stay healthy and set good examples is for my girls, and now Andy's two kids as well. I have four kids under 7 who need to understand what healthy means and how to achieve it. It's not about how skinny someone is, or even how "fat" (oh how I HATE that word) someone is. Someone who is considered "overweight" on a BMI calculator can be healthier than a "skinny person". That bigger person may be able to run 10 miles without stopping, eats well balanced meals 6 out of 7 days a week and allows herself one splurge day, but her muscle mass may push her weight up over into a that ridiculous label of being overweight. This person may live a very healthy lifestyle and be extremely happy with their body. While that "skinny person" may be starving themself, she may have an eating disorder, maybe she can't run to the end of the block or do six jumping jacks without feeling like she is going to pass out. Size and physical appearance doesn't tell the whole story. Should we strive to be thin, fit or healthy? It's a pretty personal question.

I hate the labels of fat, skinny, big, small... And I refuse to let my children use them. Did anyone see the Target Photoshop debacle that hit Facebook like wildfire last week? It's not foreign practices to take pictures of these models and then Photoshopped the heck out of them to give them thinner arms, thinner legs, or that almost-unachievable gap between their thighs. I guess a Target ad designer took it a tad too far and basically made a mess out of what was probably a perfectly beautiful picture of a swimsuit model. So, not only are we sending the message across that our body shapes are unacceptable, but they've made it horribly obvious that they digitally mutilate even the "models" that are supposed to be picture perfect for what they are advertising. What kind of message is that???

It has become a heated issue on Facebook and several message boards and, honestly, I'm glad it has. If people don't speak out about how wrong this is, then we're just letting them send even more messages to our young ladies about what the "perfect" body looks like, without telling them that mostly it can only be done with a computer and some mad Photoshopping skills.

I pray that my girls grow up loving their bodies and realizing that what they were given is what they have and they are in control of what they do with it. Take care of it, work with it and be happy with it. It is never a BAD thing. Maybe you will always consider it "a work in progress" but I think that should be used in the sense of learning about ourselves, pushing ourselves and growing and changing mentally and physically because we WANT to, not because we feel forced to, or worry about going out in public in a swim suit.

Okay... stepping down off of my soapbox now. Please, hug your daughters (and sons) tight and tell them how smart, perfect, funny, creative, etc. they are. Sure, tell your girls they are beautiful... be sure to tell them they are beautiful because they have a beautiful heart and they are kind and loving. We need to help our children see that what's on the outside doesn't say a darn thing about what's on the inside. I love the quote, "First love yourself, others will come next."

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!!!

Comments

Popular Posts