Come on spring!!!

Sorry it's been so long since I posted last. No real reasons or excuses... just haven't. Shame on me!! I was maintaining that 45 pound quite nicely until I decided to resort to the lovely habit of stress eating. UGH!! So, up 3 pounds in the last couple of weeks and NOT HAPPY! Taking baby steps to get back on track. I definitely need to up my water intake, no question about that!! And it is once again time to start looking for new food options. I'm falling back on old, easy, not always great for us options for lunch and dinner.

On a good note, the running season has officially begun! This past weekend I ran the Shamrock Shuffle 5K in Hayward, WI. Again, Mother Nature laughed at us and dumped some snow on northern Wisconsin the night before and morning of the race. I feel bad for the race volunteers because they had to have been up early clearing a path and prepping for the race after a week of clear roads. But they did awesome!! The course was still snow covered and slippery, but it wasn't horrible. It reminded me a lot of running on the beach near the water where the sand is harder, but still gives with every step you take. I have sore muscles in my legs that I didn't even know I had! But it's a good sore. :) My official finishing time was 35:56 which meant my average pace was 11:34. Not horrible, but definitely room for improvement. The best part about this year's starting time was that it was faster than last year's starting time by about a minute and that was on clear roads.

I'm officially signed up for two more races this season already with a total of about 14 races planned for 2013! The next race is the annual Polar Bear 5K which will be my second year participating. I also decided to join in the Grandma's Marathon weekend fun and run the Irvin 5K the night before the marathons. I'm also officially starting my sprint triathlon training next month, so I have plenty of good things on the horizon and I'm excited to get going. I just wish I could get going OUTSIDE!!! Biking and running on ice and snow is just not my idea of fun entertainment.

So, with all of that said, I know I have to get going. I have the goals, I have the plans to achieve those goals, now I just need to put those plans into action. Since they say that telling your goals to others makes you more likely to keep them, I'm going to put them on here to remind me of what I am out to achieve this year...

1. Finish a 5K in under 30 minutes - this is the goal for the Irvin 5K if not before!
2. Train for and complete the Rice Lake Triathlon in July
3. Run the Shell Lake 9 miler in under 45 minutes
4. Run the Whistlestop Half Marathon in under 2:45... this will be my hardest goal, but most rewarding!!!

There you have it folks... and my plan of attack is: RUN! RUN! RUN!!!! If I feel like eating something I shouldn't, I need to hit the treadmill for a mile or two until the urge goes away. If I'm having a bad day, find a way to get out and pound out my frustration on the pavement instead of heading for my wide range of comfort foods. And most of all... when I don't really want to get out and do it, do it anyway. I have yet to regret a single run that I have finished. More often than not I feel 100x better and renew the motivation I had to run in the first place.

Oh and another fun activity on the calendar is the 2013 Stick it to Cancer hockey tournament next month. We're skating once a week right now in preparation for the big tournament and I'm beyond excited to participate for my second year in such an awesome fundraiser! If you're in the Twin Cities area on April 19-21, be sure to check back here or on Facebook for when the Superior Goal Diggers will be hitting the ice and come cheer us on! :)

So, I'll finish today's post with this... I know many of my friends are thinking about taking up running, being forced to consider running, or are well into their training. DO IT!! If you're new, give it a try. Don't let it intimidate you. Think of how much we ran around as kids and how stress free we were. You can recapture that!! You don't have to get out and run 3, 5 or 10 miles. Start with 30 minutes and see how far you go. Then the next time, see if you can beat that distance, or just do it again and bring a friend! I'm excited to see all of the kids around me starting to find excitement in running with their parents, or even just getting out for a hike. Pass it on!! Kids are born to run, run with them and have fun. They will find a way to make you laugh and for just that short bit of time, you will find happiness and a way to leave all of your worries behind just by laughing with them and listening to that awesome sound!

Comments

Popular Posts