A new year is knocking at our doorstep...

It seems almost impossible that a year has passed so quickly. By far the hardest, most trying year I think I have ever faced. The past couple of days have lead to a long look back over the last year and what all it brought into my life and took away at the same time. It's amazing how much a year can change things. I've realized that with the bad came a lot of good and while I may have failed from time to time, I had many successes. With that said...

Top 5 Things/Events of 2012 That Make Me Smile

1. Finding out that I had the strength I needed to make changes in my life.
2. My trip to Vegas
3. Watching my Emmy Lou walk into the school on her first day of kindergarten
4. Training for and completing my first half marathon - something I NEVER thought I would do
5. Learning that trusting someone doesn't always come with a cost

And with the happy times, come the not-so-happy times... I had three major life changing events happen this year...

1. Moved out
2. Got divorced
3. Lost my job

What a year huh?? But, I can honestly tell you that I am always up for a challenge. I hate the unknown. I hate not having control over my life, but I know I can handle whatever is in store for me because I survived everything that happened this year. So, even though it was a hard year I am stronger, happier and wiser for it! :)

And with all that said, I believe I made some "resolutions" last year. I checked back on them about 6 months ago and while reviewing the year I looked at them again...


1. Make time for me. In order to be a better mom to my girls, I need to be happy with myself and have a healthy mind.

2. Be realistic with myself. Don't set goals too hard to accomplish and set expectations that are unhealthy because it just leads to self-defeat and a loss of self-esteem. This year is about building myself UP, not tearing myself down.

3. Set good examples for my girls. I don't just mean with my food choices either. If I expect my girls to grow up into adults who are respected, treat others kindly and show compassion to others I have to start showing that to them now while they are willing to learn and practice what they see.

I believe I followed all of these, but can still improve. These goals helped me reach even bigger goals, goals I didn't even know I would try to reach. So, I plan to keep them in tact for the new year, with the addition of two more...

4. Be patient. This has been a very hard one for me this year. I've never been a patient person when it comes to waiting things out, but even more so, I find that stress and frustrations lead me to having less patience with my girls. This is going to be a huge goal for me this year. I want to be a better mom to my girls. We spent a year adjusting to our new lives, now I want to be the mom who is there for them and patient with them when they need it most. Sometimes I feel like I fail them in that department and I want to find more pride in the mom I am to them this year.

5. Find new challenges. Being challenged to run that half marathon last year was the biggest and most thrilling personal challenge I have ever experienced. I learned that I thrive on that kind of thing. I need to challenge myself more often... it brings out the best in me. I'm not just saying I should challenge myself in activities... but in many aspects of my life. Make myself step it up a notch, instead of settling for how its always been.

And with all of that... I can say that in the physical area, 2012 was a highly successful year. Races were run, personal records were achieved, challenges were met head on and although I didn't have a weight loss goal, I lost 41 pounds in a year. I'll take that!! LOL I have a whole new year to lose more and get closer to my personal goal. In all honesty, I'm finally finding happiness and acceptance with my adult body. While I could always stand to tone up or lose a few more pounds... it's not an obsession. It'll happen when its meant to. In the meantime... it's not a bad thing to live a healthy lifestyle... which I think I manage to do about 80% of the time. :)

Thank you to everyone who followed my journey this year. I appreciate each and every one of you and hope that something along the way has helped someone else. Before we know it, another year will flash by as quickly as the last. I'm very excited to see what this year holds in store... I think it promises to be very interesting and I'm ready for whatever lies ahead. 2012 brought me new happiness... I know 2013 will continue it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts